Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Najas guadalupensis info
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnus
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)18:01    Post subject: Najas guadalupensis info Reply with quote

There's a river by my house that has tons of these Najas guadalupensis. They were growing so thick that I thought they were algae. So I got this idea of growing them as carpet, or in the foreground. But before bringing them home, I need some info first. How much lighting do they require? How fast do they grow? Are they hardy? Can they survive in warm water (78F)? Anything else I need to know?
I think William has this in this tank. Any advice?
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll grow easily at that temperature, but this is not a plant that will carpet your aquarium floor. It is difficult to keep rooted and has a tendency to break off and remain floating or lodge itself within other tank decor. I've only grown it under 3W/gal of light (grows fast) but I'm sure it could make do with considerably less. Difficult IMO to incorporate into a cohesive aquascape because the individual plants' form is sparse, leaving lots of open spaces. I do think, however, that it could work well as an accent plant that lends a bit of a 'wild', untamed element to a nature-style aquascape.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

2la wrote:
Difficult IMO to incorporate into a cohesive aquascape because the individual plants' form is sparse, leaving lots of open spaces. I do think, however, that it could work well as an accent plant that lends a bit of a 'wild', untamed element to a nature-style aquascape.

Tula,
Thanks for the info. I pulled out a strand of it today, and the nodes are indeed very far apart (+2"). However, the whole patch was very thick. I wonder how I can get this effect in the tank. Also, the plant itself looks similar to a runner from chain swords. So I'm thinking maybe I can grow it horizontally among the hairgrass, thus creating a more "nature" look. My question is: How can I encourage it to stay low? Would stapling the plant to the substrate help it take root?
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will do what you want it to. It doesn't produce runners, it just has a tendency to send off lots of offshoots. I don't think stapling(?) it to the substrate will do any good since as I mentioned earlier the stems are fragile and tend to snap off of their own accord. As to what would encourage it to remain low, I have no idea. If I can't get a plant to grow low under 3W/gal, I figure it's not really a carpet-type plant. Baensch's atlas confirms my experience, but I certainly don't want to discourage you from trying something different. Unfortunately it means I don't really have any good answers to your specific questions.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: