Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cichlasoma urophthalmus
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MASSMAN2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)11:29    Post subject: Cichlasoma urophthalmus Reply with quote

Anyone have any information on the Urophthalmus "Mayan" Cichlid. I just picked up one from the Petco because it looked liked it was getting punished by the Red Jewels that was in the tank with it. His tail fin was bit off but I can get that to grow back no problem.

Has anyone raised any?
rudy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to know? I have never raised any, however I do have a friend that has raised a couple.
MASSMAN2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast do they grow, what foods are best for them, How big do they grow, how aggressive are the, their color patterns etc.?
rudy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call them medium growth for a larger cichlid. Not as fast as a midas, or oscar, but if fed properly can grow up to 6 inches in a year.

There are a few different variants of them so you will have quite a bit of size difference in them. Some will get up to 12 inches, but most will get about 8-10 inches. Female could be smaller. There are different varieties there is also quite a bit of difference in color from a drowned out grey- orange, to and orange to many shapes of red, however the color probably won't be pronounced until at least 6 inches.

The color patterns are pretty much like a festae (true red terror with two distinct features that set them apart. One is that a festae will have a y shaped bar at about their neck and Uros just go straight vertically. Secondly a uros tail spot will cover most of the vertical length of the tail where as a festae will only cover the top half.

They seem to really differ in aggression, but when they get older I would classify them as aggressive.
MASSMAN2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)14:04    Post subject: Check this out Reply with quote

My Urothalmus, at least that is what I think it is, has the Y shaped stripe and the big spot on the tail. Its about an inch right now, I will have to wait and see how it develops.
rudy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massman, Uros don't have the y shape, just the big spot on the tail. If it has the y then it is most likely a festae.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: