Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pygmy cory
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)21:43    Post subject: Pygmy cory Reply with quote

Right now I have a 10g. I have come to the conclusion that I really need something bigger. The largest tank I can accomodate would be (30" long x 12" wide), but I would prefer something (24"x 12").
Options for 30"x 12" would be 20g long (12" deep) or 29g (18" deep).
Options for 24"x 12" would be 20g high (16" deep) or 25g ("20 deep).

I would like a moderately planted tank with the following fish:
6 white clouds
3-6 pygmy cories
3 otos
6-10 cherry red shrimp
MTS

I have heard that pygmy cories don't like deep tanks. I think the 25g and 29g might be too deep. Would they be alright in a 20g high, or would I be better off going with a 20g long tank? And would 20g be large enough for this combination of fish?

Thanks for your help.
Jen
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, cories shoot to the surface for air and deep tanks stress them a lot. A 20g long with those inhabitants would be perfect.
You could get any of the tanks listed though as Cories tend to be okay with heights under two feet.
Personally I would avoid 20 inches hight though as the lower the bettter for your plants as well.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the reply. I think I will go with the 20 long, then.

I have a planted 10 gallon that just finished cycling (ammonia=0ppm, nitrites=0ppm, nitrates=5ppm as of today). If I move everything from the 10g to the 20g, will the 20g tank have to cycle before adding a few more fish?

Thanks again,
Jen
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move everything over, the 20g will have a mini cycle. For a mini cycle I owuld avoid the cories and start with the hardier species first then the cories in a few days.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
gnome
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about C. pygmaeus... The more, the better. Until today, I only had three, which were always hiding. I added six more this afternoon, and they're all out in the open, twirling around each other and playing. In a 20-gallon, I'd think you could keep 8-10 very comfortably, and still add the other fish/critters that you've listed. If this tank is going to be well-planted, there should be no problem, and if the plants are growing well, you generally don't have to worry about ammonia spiking. Just give the plants (with white clouds present) a week or so to root and get established before you begin adding the more sensitive species, making sure to check the ammonia and nitrites before each new addition. If plants are not in the plan, go with "plan A." But I still think you could work up to 8-10 pygmy cories either way. Buy them three at a time, allowing a few weeks between each trio.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up the 20g this morning. I'll keep you posted on how things work out.

I already have:
6 white clouds
5 cherry shrimp
5 ghost shrimp
1 MTS

After the mini-cycle finishes I will slowly introduce:
8-10 pygmy cories
3 (or more*) otos

*How many otos should be kept together? Would 3 be enough to make them comfortable? Or would adding more than 3 be too much of a bio-load?

Thanks again for all the help.
gnome
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have waited on the shrimp. They're generally pretty sensitive to the effects of cycling, and take much better to well-established tanks. They're dang expensive, too! I would have even put them in *after* the cories and otos. Oh well... Just keep an eye on them. Maybe tossing in a wad of Java moss will help in absorbing any ammonia waste that can't get processed by bacteria, plus make the shrimp more "comfortable." They can also eat whatever's growing in it.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had the shrimp, so there was no help for that. They were one of the first things added to the tank, on the advice of my LFS. They didn't seem bothered by the ammonia and nitrite spikes while cycling.

I added Bio-spria to the 10g tank at the beginning of the cycle, which seemed to help a lot. I also did 20% water changes daily. The ammonia spiked at 1ppm and nitrite at .5ppm. They both hit zero after 3 weeks. I never saw an algae bloom, thankfully. I hope I have similar luck with the 20g.
gnome
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you moved everything over at once and all went without a hitch, you may not even see any spikes. Just be gradual about adding more fish and any spikes will be undetectable.

Enjoy your new, bigger tank! More room to play with Very Happy . YAY!
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am enjoying the bigger tank! It looks much better and the white clouds are having a blast!

I really appreciate all the help from this board. If I had found it before I bought my first tank, I would have started with a bigger tank. Live and learn. Laughing
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: