Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Paracyprichromis nigripinis
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)21:02    Post subject: Paracyprichromis nigripinis Reply with quote

Paracyprichromis nigripinis Does any body know anything about this fish water conditions, tempremnt, feeding habbits, breeding habbits, size?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its a Tang cichlid, open water , mild mannered cichlid.
pH should be high, GH and KH can vary.
For a breeding setup I would keep them alone..

What kind of tank did you have in mind for them or were you hoping to add them to an existing setup?
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water conditions are that of lake Tanganyika. 76-78 degrees, pH 8-9 range, but aquarium raised fish can usually tolerate mid to high 7's. GH and KH in the teens to 20's or higher.
Temperament- They are quite peaceful for a cichlid, not really bothering anyone unless breeding. Still not a common community fish! They can live with several other tanganyikans.
Behavior/tank setup- They do hang out in groups and form territories, so it's recommended you get 6-10 juveniles, in at least a 36" tank. They love slate stacked vertically. In nature they live in and around caves at about 150ft depth, they often "sit still" in a vertical position or even upside down! Also, since they do live so deep, they prefer subdued lighting (heavy on the blue to show them off, maybe one 50/50 bulb).
Feeding- omnivores, I feed mine new life spectrum with the occasional shrimp and plankton.
Breeding- Mouth brooder, 5-10 fry per batch
Adult size- 4-5"

*no this pic is not upside down (the fish is Wink)
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this fish since the first time I saw it in my lfs and I would really like to put some in a community tank would this be possible or can I only have it with other cihlids?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: