Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
School for 20g w/ a pair of kribs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense but I've never seen wild guppies around here nor do I have the time to quarinteine them (it's a looong story). Guppies are livebearers... I've had Livebearers before, fry every 3-4 weeks Rolling Eyes

If I find them they would be up in North OKC (a good hour away)I don't know how much they are here, Cyradia said 10/$1, but I don't think it's worth the gas.

thanks anyway
Amanda Wink

PS-about how many danios or guppies (if I can't find them close) in a school for my 20g? Or anything else you can help me think of for my tank. Wink
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, they were sold as feeder guppies...hence the low price and need for quarantining them.

Second, you will not get overrun by guppy fry in a tank with predacious cichlids.

Third, you should probably really listen to Nonamethefish's advice if you're interested in keeping the krib fry. Like I said, I've never tried danio dithers and I could believe their speed would make them excellent fry eaters.

Forth, the numbers really depend on what type of fish. I'd probably throw in about 6-10 of my wild guppies in your tank, but they're very small. I probably wouldn't add more than 5 or 6 danios if I was going to try them.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want guppies. I don't really like livebearers all that much. WAY too many bad experiences with them.

Isn't there anoything I can add other than guppies and danios?

What about the dwarf rainbows that D_M mentioned? Would they be okay? About how much do they go for (price wise)?

My whole idea is cheap, hardy fish remember.

Amanda Wink

PS- Thanks to everyone who has been helping me. Just thought I'd show a little gratitude. Very Happy
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwarf rainbows aren't cheap... more like 5 bucks per fish.

I agree with you 100% on live bearers...

As for Danios being fry eaters, well yes they are. Any tetra or similar fish will try to nab fry. In a community tank I expect a fry survival rate f at most 25 %... If one is out to breed fish and keep the fry you need grow out tanks etc. I do not see that Mandy has the financial resources to get into fish breeding.

I still say the danios are the best option... if I am overruled then my second opinion would be black neons. These go for around $1.50
and are a little less aggressive than cardinals...
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, if you find blue dwarf neon rainbows for $5, you better buy them 'cause it's not likely to ever happen again! Minimum here in Tulsa, OK--when you can find them--is $10.99 each. But very worth the price...you would need at least 4 though and only one should be male....
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsartetra wrote:
Uh, if you find blue dwarf neon rainbows for $5, you better buy them 'cause it's not likely to ever happen again! Minimum here in Tulsa, OK--when you can find them--is $10.99 each. But very worth the price...you would need at least 4 though and only one should be male....

Really? I think I remember seeing them in an OK City LFS, except they were labeled as Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish. Forgot where I saw them, maybe it was Aquarium Concepts, since they have a fairly large selection of fish. Confused It was last year when I was setting up my 20g and was looking for certain plants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mandy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.11(Thu)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll get the rainbows...a little too much, and I don't know how the kribs will react to them, they might decide to take their aggression out on the $5+ fish.
I have one more question...once I have one female krib I need a male to complete the pair (well duh..lol).

How do I go about introducing them to the tank? Add the female first then go buy a male and add him then the other fish (I'm sorta thinking danios once as D_M said, I'm not in it for breeding the kribs), buy the male and introduce them all at the same time.

Just don't want what happened last time to happen.

Amanda Wink
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.12(Fri)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have very little experience with Kribs, but Rainbows are really fast fish. I don't think the Krib is quite fast enough for hurting Rainbows.

But I see your point. It's just neat that Rainbows can go with a lot of different setups because they are rarely ever aggressive. They can give what they take, but normally do not start anything.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: