Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
School for 20g w/ a pair of kribs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)17:58    Post subject: School for 20g w/ a pair of kribs? Reply with quote

Well, well, well, I've been bit by the bug...the one that makes you get bigger tank that is. LOL! OK here's the story, I gave my sister (Lizthefish) my 10g for some shellies. I had to have a tank other than the 5g so I decided on a 20g. I found one at petsmart for a low price of $44.50 (with PetPerks card), including the hood and florecent light. I plan on buying another male krib, but I would like a little more than just a pair of kribs. (Can I put a pair in there without a problem like in the 10g?)

I decide on a school of some HARDY tetras. My only worry would be if the kribs ever had fry they would kill the school. Would this be a problem in a 20g?

The tank has to be cycled for another 2-3 weeks. I just got it today.

Any suggestions??

TIA
Amanda Wink
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think in a krib breeding tank, anything but the parents (and sometimes not even them!) would be prime targets....I'm sure that no matter how fast tetras are, the krib parents could be faster.

Plus, that would be a lot of stress on said school of tetras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider putting something in there that is less a show school of fish and more a group of dither fish. In other words, picking a "pretty" school of fish may not work as the species you're looking at probably won't stand up to krib aggression. To be honest, the difference in 'a school of fish for the tank' and 'dither fish' is more about your idea of the purpose of the fish.

That said, I think having dither fish in some of these dwarf cichlid tanks really helps. I've recently set-up three tanks of small cichlids, and I can really tell a difference in the ones with dither fish. For me, I'm just using some wild guppies I bought several months ago at 10/$1. However, they've already gone through quarantine and I'm confident they're clean. Every once in awhile a smaller one "disappears" or their babies "disappear." They also get chased around a bit and harassed at feeding time. Probably not the kindest lives for these fish, but still probably a step-up from feeder fish. Using dithers may also help in your inner-pair aggression. In other words, that female was full of beat'em-up hormones and the only thing to beat up was the male. If you have some dither fish to grab some of that attention away things may go better. Having an extra 10 gallons will also help a bunch. Another common dither species to look into may be zebra danios.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about getting zebras, but they seem to be very sickly, or that' what I've heard, I really don't want to have another sickly tank (I had to many diseases from the molly tank a few months back Rolling Eyes ) I would have never thought of guppies, I sorta thought they were brackish?

What I really what these fish to do is just swim around and if they
get "eaten" (all long as they all don't) it won;t really matter, sorta cheap healthy fish. know any??(if any...LoL)

Thanks,
Amanda Wink
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebrafish (Zebra danios) would be okay as they stay near the top of the water and will be ignored by the kribs. 20g is perfect IME for a pair.

Another option would be other top dwelling fish. Hatchetfish can work, as can dwarf rainbows.
As always, cichlids can be reasonable or they can be nasty ones. Any fish you choose runs some risk of getting attacked. However, the fast moving zebra, or dwarf rainbows should be able to evade any pursuit.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question that relates to the topic, so I'll just ask it.

I'm planning on a setup of a pair of kribs and a school (lets say Cool tiger barbs in a 37g tank?

Would the tougher tigers and the bigger tank help this setup work (facing krib breeeding agression)?
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danios are like the SUPER FISH! They withstand everything. Super hardy. Not at all "sickly". They love the top of the tank and swim super fast. They are cheap two. If you don't like zebras there are leapord, gold, blue, and long finned and short finned zebras and leapords. I have 2 long finned gold, 2 short finned zebra, and 2 long finned zebra. Great fish. they go well with many types of fish since they adapt to different levels of pH.

As for the kribs. My cousin has a 55 gallon with a breeding pair. They spawned and died trying to protect their young because they never ate. He had shoal of 15 neon tetras, one figure eight puffer, and a black finned rainbow shark. The tank was very empty but they still died. Actually the female killed the male to protect them and then died of starvation. So some fish especially big schools may scare them. if you saw a big red and blue ball coming at your babies you would proably be scared too! Very Happy
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I have proof that danios in fact cannot withstand "everything."

They couldn't withstand my crayfish, for one.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mandy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll probably get some danios, but about how many?

I don't think I'll have a problem with her starving to death once she's already spawned once before, but they were in a 10g so she killed the male Sad.

I'm so excited my tank is cycling sooo fast!!

Amanda Wink
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebr danios would make a poor choice IMO and IME. They are fast enough to be avoided, but thats not really a good idea. When mom decides to take the babies for a walk, the zebras like ot dart in along the edges and try to eat the baby fish(and getting away unscathed most of the time). Wild guppies, though slow, work much better because they pose no threat to the fry, though you may have to quarantine them first.

Its not the fish species that is sickly, its usually the treatemnt the supplier gives them, or perhaps the genes of the particular stock.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: