Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
29g:lake malawi vs Community
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)15:53    Post subject: 29g:lake malawi vs Community Reply with quote

I have a spare 29g. and I was wondering what to do with it. here is what I thought of for the community..
3 sailfin mollies (I ADORE them!)
2 sword tail m,f
1 male paradise
7 pygmy corys
4 otos
2 boesemans Raibowfish

or lake malawi:
1 blue Cobalt
1 yellow Labido
1 Gorgeous Hap
anything else or to much...?

Thankas in advance
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would depend on your experience level to be quite honest. I have absolutely no idea how experienced you are so forgive me if I assume wrong. I HIGHLY recommend that newcomers to the hobby, start with a few easier setups, gain some experience and have some successes before attempting to move on to bigger challenges.

If you do decide to do the africans, I don't recommend stocking it like you laid out. Attempting to set up a "community" tank of Africans, with one fish each from three different species like you mentioned is not destined for great success. They will immediately resent each other's presence and grab for as much territory as they can get. The weaker species will suffer for it...

Your better choice would be to pick a couple of smaller species you really like and that will colonize well, and stock the tank up with the appropriate ratio of males to females. This will allow yourself to witness their full personalities, including pecking orders, breeding habits, etc...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never kept african so I guess that I won't make it an african tank. I was looking in the photo gallery and I saw the blue ram. Maybe I could have like 3-5 ram ( does it matter if there bolivian,german, or blue?) and mayube an apisto (I'm not sure if they live in group, and maybe some community fish like rasbora or something. And then another question, what algae eaters don't comsume eggs?
thanks in advance
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams and Apistos can be just as bad a African Cichlids so a beeding pair or trio would be best. You could include some fast top dwelling dither fish also.

Alex
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I understand I can't have apistos and rams together. ANd that I could have silver hatchets (what other fish like to be at the top? And could I add a school of anything? and abouth the bottom dweller?
Gibber
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I would vote cichlid tank. the only reason I vote this is that I Loooove cichlids Razz but as said before depends on your experiance and a lot of other stuff.
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danios are the best fish to have for your problem. They stay at the top of the tank are super fast and are moving constantly my danios are total spazes. There are gold danios (long and short finned), zebra danios (long and short finned), lepord danios, and blue danios. They are super cheap, harty, and cool. I love my danios. Almost nothing can catch them and I just can't tell you enough how much I love them. They are the best fish ever! Oh, and they can adapt to almost any water conditions. So they mix well with a lot of different fish.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: