Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
plants recomendation on a low-light 25g tank
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yhbae
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)23:03    Post subject: plants recomendation on a low-light 25g tank Reply with quote

This tank is 30x12x16. I only have 20w bulb that came with the kit, and I'd rather not upgrade this bulb if not necessary.

Currently, I have some java moss and java ferns in my tank. They seem to grow quite well - both are showing good process.

The question I have is, are there any other plans that I can grow in this environment? My water is real soft, KH is at 2 degree (or less), and GH is around 5 degree.

Appreciate any feedback.
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try some hygrophila polysperma, but most plants dislike low-light conditions. Java Fern and Java Moss are probably the best two low-light plants available.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite plants...the anubias will do well in low light. They are hardy, but slow growing. Anacharis is a weed and it's great! Crypts also do very well. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yhbae
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback... Very Happy

Another question - how long should java fern leaves supposed to be? Mine seems to grow no longer than 3 inches max. I see lots of little "daughter plants" (is that what they are called?) at the end of mature leaves, so I am assuming this is the maximum size they will reach... That's kinda on the small side, no? I thought they are supposed to reach up to 10 inches or so?
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the fern sounds pretty small, but if its reproducing you are still going to get more plant coverage eventually.

Please note that not all cryptocorynes are able to withstand low-light conditions, and probably require a bit more of a fertiliser input than the already-mentioned plants (anarchis, anubius, hygrophila polysperma, fern, moss)
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: