Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What substrate do you think is best?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuffs4me
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)18:54    Post subject: What substrate do you think is best? Reply with quote

I'm in need of a substrate change in my newly inherited semi planted 10 gal tank. (Got it from my brother why new nothing except what looked pretty.) At the moment there is an Amazon Sword, and some Java moss that
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, the best substrate for planted tanks (and most other tanks with even a few plants) is a layer of small pea gravel, enough to cover the base of the tank, a layer of laterite, about 1/2", covered in sand, I've done this in all my tanks, my plants are thriving, and the fish seem to quite like the sand.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)16:44    Post subject: Lighting is more important Reply with quote

Before you get bothered by the substrates lack of perfection, let's talk about light!

10 gallon tank, what light do you have?

Light is the driver on the planted tank.

Fertilizer can help poor substrate, usually, but nothing can fix it if you don't have the light.
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)17:42    Post subject: Re: Lighting is more important Reply with quote

anonapersona wrote:
Before you get bothered by the substrates lack of perfection, let's talk about light!

10 gallon tank, what light do you have?

Light is the driver on the planted tank.

Fertilizer can help poor substrate, usually, but nothing can fix it if you don't have the light.

Yes, and it doesn't have to be expensive, I just read an article(and various others)that spectrum isnt really important contrary to what most people think. I think the best lighting is a mix of cool whites and broad spectrum bulbs. I use mix on my 75 gallons, 3 braod spectrum(cheap, buy these at home imporvement centres for 5$!) and a cool white.

My substrate is laterite mixed with gravel at the bottom half, and pure gravel on the upper half. I'll add some peat as soon as I have the time to do so. Anyyway, the plants are starting to tak off(Just bought them 2 weeks ago, but I kinda disturbed them again last week, so...).
stuffs4me
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into a laterite/gravel mix. And I have a 25w white light fluorescent bulb, which needs replacing. (Its losing brightness.) And what about fluorite? What minerals does it contain that are good for plants versus laterite? Thanks so much for everyone
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about floutrite, but its more expensive than laterite. I heard people use flourite instead of laterite, cos they said laterite clouds water...well, it does, and its no biggie..it will go away. Flourite do cloud the water, too, you know.

About the mineral content, I dunno...I'm content with my laterite/gravel mix(Thoguh I wish I went soil though).
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some good opinions about seachem eco-complete.
I haven't tried it myself though.
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

laterite shouldn't cloud the water if used properly, as an underlay fertiliser, not the whole substrate.

soil can be used to, but unlike laterite, which releases fertilisers until it's no longer there, soil only has so much nutrients in it...
chainsword
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 10 gallon planted tank and I use 100% flourite in it with great results. I had some cloudiness when I started it up, but it went away in a few hours. I'd stick with an all flourite substrate, seems to work the best for me.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)16:33    Post subject: Do you mean fool-proof? Reply with quote

I think that Flourite is widely regarded as the substrate that is fool-proof. the only thing you can work on is how to wash it and how deep to make it.

There are many other options, and many work well, but exactly what works is always a consideration. How much laterite, what sort of litter, who much peat, what sort of soil, etc, etc.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: