Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What exactly does 'heavily planted' mean?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)18:48    Post subject: What exactly does 'heavily planted' mean? Reply with quote

I have seen several articles and posts make reference to 'heavily planted' tanks. I was wondering, just what does that mean? Is there a rule of thumb regarding the number/size of plants per gallon? Or is it a more general reference that just means wall to wall plants?

I'm sure this seems like a silly question, but I am still very new to the world of planted aquaria. Thanks in advance for you patience and help.

Jen
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine, like most things in this world of aquatics, that it all boils down to personal opinion.

For example, I count my ten gallon tank as heavily planted. There's so much hornwort floating in the tank that I need to remove chunks to siphon out water!

But on the other hand, the java moss in the tank is all tied to ornaments. There's not many, if any, plants actually in the sand. Mostly because my kuhli loaches and pygmy cories would have a hard time getting around in thick clumps of plant....and the betta would have nowhere to swim!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:43    Post subject: Heavily planted... Reply with quote

It means that you only have slim and/or small fish, because they can get through the plants.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am working on my first planted tank - a 10 gallon with 1 15watt bulb. I have heard good things about heavily planted tanks and wondered what to aim for. Smile

The tank has been set up for about a month and is just about done cycling (ammonia = 0, nitrIte=0-.25pmm, nitrAte=5-10ppm). At the moment I have java moss, 1 anubias barteri, 3-4 java ferns, 1 bunch of hornwort, 1 tiny green wendii crypt and a chain sword. The substrate is a gravel/laterite mix. No CO2. I've been adding Flourish liquid about once a week for the last 3 weeks.

I think most of the plants will do alright, except the chain sword. When I purchased it, the girl at the LFS assurred me it would do great in my set up. But further research makes me think she sold me a bill of goods. It has only been in the tank for a week. So far it has not died off. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Grinder
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later you will want/need to add more light. I had a 1-G tank and I had lots of problems with so called low level light plants.

Get as much light as you can because sooner or later . . . . . . . .
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with grinder, I've read articles about lighting and it seems that the smaller the tank, the more light it needs and vice versa.
Also, you might want to get fast growers that do good in low light levels such as hygrophila polysperma(If its not banned), or hygro difformis(water wisteria).
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

revengeishere wrote:
hygrophila polysperma(If its not banned)

Well, this stuff is "restricted" in Oklahoma, but supposedly it's sold in a few stores around here. At least that's what someone told me when I mentioned the plant. The point is, even if it is "banned," it doesn't mean you can't find it. Try some local aquarium clubs, if no LFS have it where you live, someone there may have some in there tank and could give you some clippings. Razz

Also I think it is restricted more in the south. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizTheFish wrote:
revengeishere wrote:
hygrophila polysperma(If its not banned)

Well, this stuff is "restricted" in Oklahoma, but supposedly it's sold in a few stores around here. At least that's what someone told me when I mentioned the plant. The point is, even if it is "banned," it doesn't mean you can't find it. Try some local aquarium clubs, if no LFS have it where you live, someone there may have some in there tank and could give you some clippings. Razz

Also I think it is restricted more in the south. Confused

I konw it is banned in Socal. The polysperma would love it here...lol.

Anyway, I went to my local LFS but they don't have it. I thought I bought 1 earlier this week, but it turned out to be a Gymnocornis. I'm kinda with this as I love the textures made by this plant...I'll keep my eye open though.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what happens when a fishkeeping newbie spends too much time hang around this board:

1. Last week I upgraded my 10g to a 20g long
2. I found some hygrophila polysperma at a chain aquarium store (no problem finding it in Ohio) & aponogeton bulbs
3. Today I found a 30in 55w compact fluorescent strip light on sale for 30% off at my lfs (yeah, me!)

After checking my nitrogen levels today, I noticed that my nitrate is below 5ppm. (This is before increasing the lighting.) I've read that some brands of stump remover can be used to increase nitrate levels, but the hardware stores in my area all carry the same brand and it does not list its ingredients, so I'm not really keen on adding it to the tank. Any suggestions?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.10(Wed)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea.. tell me about it. I started here with only a 20Long. I now have a 3, 10, 20long, 30, and a 75. I'm looking into getting another 55 and/or 75. *LMAO*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: