Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any Algae eater for 2 gal tanks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)13:42    Post subject: Any Algae eater for 2 gal tanks? Reply with quote

I have a 2 gal hexagon tank with a male betta in. Is there anything else that could go in with him as far as algae eater? My friend gave me this tank about 3 months ago and It's just starting with algae. I've been doing the weekly water changes. Was just wondering if something would help with the algae? She had a snail in with her betta. Would he help much? Thanks ~Nancy~

Algae isn't bad, just starting , but would like to catch it before it gets away on me. Laughing
WasFishy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...Maybe 1-2 oto's? Or some sort of algae eating snail...
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually in the process of setting up the same thing. No betta though.

It's a 2 gallon hex, I've decided it absolutely needs a heater as the temp fluctuates way too much. right now it's housing 2 ghost shrimp and a lot of elodea. I'm planning on putting 3 otos in it, and that's it.
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to get any Takashi Amano Shrimp? They are on the ageofaquariums main website, in the gallery at the bottom. According to Takashi Amano, they are quite good at algae maintenance.
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a male betta in a 6g Eclipse. There were already 2 ghost shrimp in the tank and he showed no interest in them, so I tried adding a couple of cherry red shrimp ($6 each at my lfs). The betta had a very expensive lunch that day! I think they were such a bright color, that he had no problem hunting them down. He killed both of them before I had time to reach for the net. I felt so bad. Embarassed Amano shrimp might have better luck blending into the surroundings.

A snail would be alright, depending on the type of snail. Is the tank planted?
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for your ideas! I might look into the shrimp(eeek!) . They kinda remind me of spiders! NOT a spider fan, so we'll see. Laughing Otherwise maybe a snail of some kind? My tank isn't planted and I have one decoration in it that's kinda big but it has a little cave for my betta to go in. He just loves it so I'd hate to take it out. This was my friends setup so I just went with it. Now I wouldn't mind getting new stuff for it, but he sure loves his little cave! Smile So I don't think there would be room for an Otto? They are so cute! Would a snail be okay in there since it isn't planted? If so, what kind? I"m clueless. Thanks guys. ~Nancy~
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

there arn't many suitable snails for a small tank that will eat algae, all the common snails will eat tiny bits, but grow to plague proportions.
your best bit is the amano shrimp, they grow to roughly 2", can tollerate 18-27c, and are very peaceful with other fish. they eat all kinds of algae, and can be quite easily stocked, I recommend 2 shrimp/gallon, these seems to work for me.
an otto would go in the tank fine, but it won't eat all kinds of algae, it's main specialty is the brown dust algae, called diatoms (I think thats it) which it eats with relish...
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... thanks for posting this topic.. I just realized, I actually CAN put something else in my two gallon hex with my contrary female betta! I might try the amano shrimp... you don't think a very contrary female betta will attack one, right?
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a betta I strongly suggest shrimp... and they're really cool! They should get along fine with the betta (with the exception of the cherry ones someone posted about) and if you buy the right shrimp they'll eat algae and any food that hits the substrate.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy,
Check my reply to Irons' post "stupid question".

The Red Cherry Shrimp are great little algae eaters and very colorful....as their name implies.

Fred
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: