Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 gallon planted hood
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)20:59    Post subject: 10 gallon planted hood Reply with quote

I posted this four days ago in the wrong forum, so I'll put it in the right place.

I'm going to be making a planted tank in my ten gallon (20") and I'm looking for a full hood/light setup. I really like how the Coralife series looks, but my problem right now is the bulbs that come with the kits. am I stuck having to buy either a 28 or 96 watt rig with 50/50 bulbs in it?

I'm having trouble finding a 20" dual bulb NO hood or anything else financially efficient. I was at my LFS today and the guy mentioned a new T5 . something about throwing away the ballast and all after a year or so, and it being way cheaper. my problem is I'd have to get an empty hood and mount them, which might cost a lot anyway. what have you done for your 20" or 10 gal planted tanks?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)21:19    Post subject: El cheapo Reply with quote

I have a cheap garage sale hood that was built for incandescent bulbs, I've put 19 watt spiral flourescents in. The lights are all the way to front in this hood, so I have the hood pushed back a bit to center the light more.

96 watts over a 10 gallons seems insane to me. 28 watts is plenty.

I had used a double strip on the 20 gallon for while, did you check DrsFosterSmith.com?
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply. I thought 9.6 wpg was a little overkill, but the guy at my LFS said he had put over 10wpg in a tank... not that it makes it any better for me though. I figured I could pull out a bulb or something... but maybe not.

As for the mini-compact fluorescent bulbs, I used that in another tank, but I need another place to get them. My lfs charges $21 for their 10watt bulb (it's an All-Glass # 65550, which I may have found for less than half online). In that case I
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always retro-fit your existing hood. Try here their reflecters are tthe best. The 2x13 or 1x36 are good options.

Another site You will have to search ALL around this site but they may have more options than the first site.

BTW Coralife is now making their Aqualight with bulbs better suited to fresh water plants.

The "new" T5s..... if you are refering to the HO T5s than they are very expensive and so far only in 24", 36" and 48".

Fred
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)7:01    Post subject: Walmart Reply with quote

Walmart carries a 10 watt screw in flourescent in the pet department, about $10. Mine are spiral from home Depot, but my daughter uses the Walmart ones.
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

A regular glass top and two regular fluorescent strip lights would work okay and give you 3 wpg.

Alex
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people! I think I
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad...... I thought I had seen the 20" Coralife fixture with the 6700K bulb.

Most on-line stores sell the 20" CL Aqualight(50/50) for ~$40 US Add another $17 US for the 6700K bulb and you have spent as little as you would of buying a hood and retro-fitting it. Some stores may even exchange the 50/50 with a 6700.

Instead of buying a hood to retro-fit look at the DIY hoods on A H Supply's website........ simple, cheap and rather nice looking.

Fred
chainsword
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 10 gallon planted tank, and I use the 20" corallife aqualight. I used the 50/50 bulb for a couple weeks till I had enough money to buy the 6700K bulb. I did have some growth with the 50/50, but with the 6700k bulb, my plants started growing like crazy. Corallife does make hoods for freshwater tanks now with a 6700k bulb, but the smallest ones they carry is the 24", so you're out of luck with that. I would just get the 20" aqualight and buy a new bulb for it, and you're all set. I also had a spare 10gallon flourescent light hood so I stuck that on there too and have 43 watts of light, which isn't too shabby. What I've done in the past before buying an aqualight, just buy 2 standard 10gallon flourescent light hoods on the tank, and bam, you got 30 watts of light. With all this light on there, I'd get a Nutrifin plant grow system on there. Those things are perfect for 10gallon tanks. Anywho, have fun!
Agent_Embryo
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.09(Tue)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a new LFS that is going to switch out the bulb for me on the 20" coralife, and he's giving me a good enough price.

As for CO2... we'll see what happens. I'm planning on having plants like ambulia or cabomba. 2.8wpg is decent, but isn't CO2 relative to how much light is in the tank? I mean, adding CO2 to an under lit system won't do much... I
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: