Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my fish won't grow!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalton
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)18:14    Post subject: my fish won't grow! Reply with quote

I have a 75g comunity tank with a emperior 400 and a fluval 204. the tank holds 3 bala sharks 3" 3 clown loaches 2" 6 rainbows 2" silver dollar 1" and a tinfoil barb 2" and I can't get anything to grow they were eating blood worms but I stopped that b/c the tank was filling up with brown algae. now they are eating tropical crumbles and shrimp pellets. and they are fed about 2 times a day. what do you recomend that is high in protien but less messy than frozen bloodworms.

I am also considering another tank if I can make room for it to put the rainbows in Wink
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has this tank been set up? How long have you had the fish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AlleyCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you have brown algae due to blood worms being fed to your fish ... how much are you feeding them ?? How often are you doing waterchanges? How long has the tank been set up?

A.C.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general recipe for fast growth in fish is:

1. Temperatures kept in the upper level of the accepted temperature range for your species.

2. Feed lightly, but often...4 to 5 small feedings if possible.

3. Heavy water changes. This is especially important as doing the first two will cause your water to "spoil" much faster. In a fry grow-out tank many people change the water as often as every other day. How much time you're willing to spend on this should be considered when deciding how fast you want to "throttle" up their growth. In other words, doing the first two and ignoring the third will cause MANY problems.

Lastly, I've not had much experience with the species you listed, but I don't believe any are considered fast growing. Different species grow at different rates, and some of them simply take years and years...even under the best conditions.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote = "Taratron"]How long has this tank been set up? How long have you had the fish?[/quote]

about a month 1/2 the tank has been set up and had the tin foil 5 weeks and the bala almost 2 months
J2K
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Bala for 2 years. He has grown, but only gradually. So long as you provide quality living conditions and a varied diet then he should thrive. I feed my Bala frozen spinach, skinned peas, sinking pelets, frozen bloodworm and of course flakes.
Happyface
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)8:58    Post subject: Bala growth Reply with quote

My bala seem only to grow well if they get enough vegetable matter to eat. They will eat anything, but I've noticed that if you do as J2K does and feed them vegetable matter, they grow much faster. I'm lazier than J2K (I don't chop up vegetables). I feed them all the normal flakes, brine shrimp etc., but I also drop in a couple Hikari sinking algae wafers for the bala. They love them, and I've noticed that if I stop feeding the wafers for a couple months, their growth stops.

Happyface
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try zucchini for the balas, they love. Just put it in a small bowl with enough water to barely cover it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool and then put it in the tank and the Balas will eat it right up.

Alex
J2K
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bala loves veg that has recently been cooked aswell. He seems to prefer it fresh!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: