Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is my tank OK?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)17:03    Post subject: Is my tank OK? Reply with quote

OK here are the stats--
3 3spot gourami's 1m2f
1 BristleNose pleco
1 ac200
1 ac150
medium planted

They just moved in, and when I come by the hide, is this fine?
and could I possibly add any other fish?, my first I dea for the tank would be to add and angel to the setup but now I'm not so sure...maybe I could add bottom dwellers or a school of cardinals.thanks in advance
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size tank is it?
Dent
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they just moved in, the fish are probably still getting used to their environment. This is natural, and I have seen Bristlenoses swim away from the front of the glass probably because they feel threatened or vulnerable. The gouramis are the same, a lot of people have experienced shy gouramis. Let the gouramis have a few days to get used to the tank, don't use any sudden movements as they seem to react to these, and maybe try and be visible when looking at the fish so they can get to recognise you (if gouramis are capable of recognising people).

Is their shyness affecting their eating habits at all?
jhny
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I forgot to put in my tank size... its a 30g. when I feed them they hide, as soon as I leave my room and they can't see me they eat. So I guess that will be fine. Could I add anything though? They are still not in full size, the male is ~5in and females are~3.5in and 4.5in and none of them are agressive, they are very peaceful
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you could put in a small school of a small fish if you'd like. Just don't skimp on the water changes.

You might want something thin & torpedo shaped like a rummynose tetra. Not only will the body shape contrast with that of the gouramis, but if the gouramis wake up on the wrong side of the tank, the rummies can get away easily.

Obviously, that's not your only option. Small fish such as harlequin rasboras would be OK, so would black neons, or black phantoms. Keep the school small, though, no more than 7 (IMO, 5 is better) so you don't introduce an algae problem w/ too much fish waste.
Garfield
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a school of cardinals or rummies would look great (But naturally I would recommend serpaes! the best fish EVER lives on !Very Happy ! Very Happy ! Very Happy !) Zebra danio and checkered barb are other possibilities.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: