Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Wanting to add another pair of cichlids....
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)12:57    Post subject: Wanting to add another pair of cichlids.... Reply with quote

I have 2 jewel cichlids and 2 auratus. They are very mean so they actually get along well. I'm supprised that they are doing so well together but the jewels are a little bigger and keep their own.

Anyway, I was wanting to add another pair of cichlids that stay small, 6 inches or under. Does anyone know of a cichlid that can keep it's own with the jewels and auratus?
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't had that tank set-up long enough to know what's going to happen with those fish. I'm basing this off of this post (and date that is August 19th.)

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5756

For example, auratus pairs are almost always destined to fail, since the males are "made" to keep harems and will harass a single female to death. I wouldn't keep anything with a pair of jewels in a 29 gallon and I wouldn't keep anything with a breeding group of auratus in a 29 gallon.

So in conclusion, I'd let things settle a little longer than 2 weeks before deciding to throw more fish in. Those 4 have tons of "personality" (I'd wager too much) for a 29 gallon. If you really don't want to remove anybody and just have to add extra fish, I'd add more female auratuses.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you haven't had that tank set-up long enough to know what's going to happen with those fish.
For example, auratus pairs are almost always destined to fail, since the males are "made" to keep harems and will harass a single female to death. I wouldn't keep anything with a pair of jewels in a 29 gallon and I wouldn't keep anything with a breeding group of auratus in a 29 gallon.

So in conclusion, I'd let things settle a little longer than 2 weeks before deciding to throw more fish in. Those 4 have tons of "personality" (I'd wager too much) for a 29 gallon. If you really don't want to remove anybody and just have to add extra fish, I'd add more female auratuses.

This is EXCELLENT advice, I agree wholeheartedly, but I wanted to clarify one point. If your two auratus are the typical yellow body/black stripes, they are both females already, which is probably why they haven't killed the jewels yet. The male auratus is harder to find, and their colors are completely opposite of the female.

The other point that has been pointed out to you before is that jewels and auratus are not from compatable water. Jewels are a west african "river" fish with completely different water parameters than auratus.

Why don't you get rid of the jewels (which really get too large for your 29g anyway) and try your hand at a colony of auratus. I would get at least 6 more females and then pop in a male to see what happens. Be sure to have tons of hideyholes and rocks for the harrassed females to take breaks in...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy's exactly right about the auratus coloration. I will say, though, that young males look almost identical to the females. It's rare for me to find mbunas for sale around here big enough for the male auratus's to be in breeding colors. If I remember correctly, you can start to sex them as their anal fins turn a little different colored early on, but then it may be 6-9 more months before you get the striking dark blue coloration. They're a little challenging to sex if you're having them scooped out of one of those "young mixed african cichlid tanks" that are so popular around here.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)15:17    Post subject: uggg.... Reply with quote

I've had the tank for a month and a half. I have two female auratus. They fought at first but now they swim around together and the jewels swim together too. They leave eachother alone and have great color, eat well, and the one female auratus... her fins are turning bright blue at the tips. What does that mean? Well, I bought the jewels to have just one pair in a 29 but then my mom uggg... she bought the two females. Luckly they are two females because I told her two males would kill eachother. I don't think she gets that you can't mix them. I didn't know about the different water conditions though. I havent been able to find any male auratus at all. I suggested an all jewel tank to my mom but she doesn't want that she wants an african "community tank" and 29 gallons isn't that much when you think about it. Maybe for some tetras but not 6 inch fish. So I suggested to start a gourami tank but she thinks since the fish are getting along to get more!!!! So I asked.. but I'll show her the posts and maybe she'll get that you can't mix them. Is 29 enough for a gourami tank if any of you know?

Sorry, I'm a bad fish keeper Crying or Very sad
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. How big do auratus get? I can really have 6 females in a 29 gallon?!??!?! Razz
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, when you say 'pair' that implies (to most fish keepers) a male and a female. You may want to clarify it when you're discussing the tank to future audiences.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

JewelsRCute wrote:
How big do auratus get? I can really have 6 females in a 29 gallon
They get up into the 4" range for an older fish, but they are fairly slender bodied. Yes, I wouldn't hesitate to put 8-10 of them in a 29 IF you provide plenty of hideyholes for them to take a break from each other and of course have excellent filtration. Again, not to beat a dead issue here, but one of the goals that a lot of fish keepers strive for is to recreate as many of their fish's natural behaviours as possible. So, with that in mind, if you were going to go through the expense of setting the tank up with a colony of all female fish, why deprive yourself of the experience of seeing the breeding interaction that would occur if you added a male fish. Again, precautions would need to be taken (plenty of rocks/caves, plenty of females to spread the agression around).

If you were successful in breeding these fish and maintaining a healthy colony, that would be something to be very proud of. Not many people (myself included) have the courage to breed this fish because of the specialized "species colony" tank setup that it requires.

Cyradia, just on a funny note, I was at PetSmart of all places today and with this conversation in mind, stopped to look in the auratus tank, and sure enough, in with all the gold bodies were two dark brown males. That's not to say that I don't agree with you about the size/sex thing, because I do...If you looked in a tank of them of the size that Walmart sells, there would be no way to tell by the color...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completly concede that I have, quite possibly, the worst local fish selection ever. For example, I've never been in a store around here that had an 'auratus' tank (nor have I met more than about one fish store worker who knew the word 'auratus.') Nearly all african cichlids for sale are located in these great tanks of 'misc. african cichlids' and are too small to sex. They sometimes have tanks of older specimins, but I've never seen a male auratus in there (probably because of the aggression.) In fact, my favorite part is that really the best looking specimins of mbunas (and best price) is at petsmart around here. For a long time they had a sign up that said, 'You may not select which color african cichlid you want.' In other words, they were like feeder guppies where you only got to say 'I want 6,' and it was luck of the scoop as to what you got. Forget the concepts of compatible species or balanced sex ratios of the fish.

As to JewelsRCute, we're not going to do the pouty 'I'm a bad fishkeeper' dance. Razz I'm telling you because I'm trying to let you avoid mistakes that most people make for themselves once. The only reason I know about auratus is because I've worked with the species and there are things I would do differently if I were to try again. As for not knowing about the water conditions, I'd re-read the post I listed above. Not only was water condition a topic, but I also suggested then you just keep one species of cichlid given the list you gave. You guys really dove into the deep end with the types of cichlids you chose because of their extremely aggressive nature. A tank of 29 gallons is just really hard to manage with those personalities.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: