Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
PowerCompacts vs CF
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elchupacabra
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)11:15    Post subject: PowerCompacts vs CF Reply with quote

I keep reading all this stuff about how great powercompacts are, or compact floresence...I'm wondering what the difference is. Some sites seem to indecate they are the same, some say they are different. Powercompact seems to be a trademark of custom sea life. And is it possible to get PCs other than on the internet, can't find them anywhere (Of course I'm new to this light thing). I was wondering If I should get the coral life 4 bulb compact flouresent fixture or a powercompact fixture. Whats better?
crocodylus
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahah love your nick!!

It all depends on your tank specs about how many bulbs/watts you want, also are you planing on growing light demanding plants? like riccia, glosso, etc? are you planing on using CO2 also? etc. etc.
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

(I don't get the nickname, sorry)

PF and CF is basically the same. CF is usually referde to as the the flourescent to replace regular light bulbs.
Power compacts are usually the longer type, like custom sealife and so many others.
Coral life, All-glass,perfecto and so many others have them. Also GE makes the bulbs.

Do you have a 4 ft tank? (like 55G or 75G) the 4bulb fixture is 55W or 65W each bulb resulting in 260Watts. Nice amount of light for a 55G. (almost 5wpg). This will allow you keep some nice corals Smile

HTH
Waffleman
elchupacabra
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I should of posted the tank specs. Its a 55g and I may end up putting really light demanding corals and clams in it, no co2 injectors, not sure yet. I guess If I do that I will need MH but for now I'm kind of curious about the flourecent. For something so important I'm surprised there isn't more information about this on the net.
So what your saying is that if I go with a Custom Sea Life "PowerCompact" bulb it won't be any better than a Coral Life "Compact Flourecent"? 'because that's what Coral Life calls their bulbs.
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clams may need more light than that. Maybe if you keep the clams way high in the tank it may be OK. MH would be a better choice indeed. Although I've seen clams in tanks with VHO bulbs.

I don't understand what CO2 has to do with this, are you trying to control pH?

Both are practically the same, it's like Philips vs GE light bulbs. power compact is apperantly a registered trademark, but lots of people call the that regardless of the brand.

HTH
Waffleman
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elchupacabra eh? Must be an Art Bell fan.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: