Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Are canisters worth it?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)9:51    Post subject: Are canisters worth it? Reply with quote

I've decided to get another tank - 37g.

So I can't decide if I should go for a canister or a big size aquaclear.
Are canisters really worth the money? And I'm not talking about ehiems (don't have the money for them). I'm currently looking at the Rena Filster xP1 ( or xP2).

So, what do you think? And which of the two canisters should I go with?
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW. If you are asking do canister provide better biological filtration than HOB filters, no, a basic sponge filter will serve that purpose. Canister filters do have other selling points though. Canisters have 3 points that I like. They are quiet, especially compared to most HOB filters. Maintenance is less and to me, easier and faster. Aesthetics, I like to have as little machinery visible as possible. Another point, particular to me, is my cats, they used to drink out of the HOB filters, not good for them or the tanks. I don't have any of the Rena filters but the XP1 is rated up to 45 gallon tanks so that should be okay on a 37g.

Alex

Last edited by Alex on 2003.09.02(Tue)16:09; edited 1 time in total
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XP1 is good enough for you tank. The Rena I found were running about $64.95.
Big Al's has:
Magnum 220 for $57.99
XP1 for $49.00

Personally I like the like Magnums and I like canisters over HOB. Overall operation is easier. It has a learning curve and takes some getting used to, but over all I feel they are better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the magnums are bad bio-filters, am I correct?
Jak Crow
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The Magnums don't hold a lot of media so they're not great for biofiltering. They're fine for chemical and mechanical filtering. I use a HOT on my tank with the micron filter and it keeps the water crystal clear, but for everything else I use 2 canister filters.
gunrunner
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rotem ,

In My Opinion , canister filters are better than normal internal filters , but , when I bought my Rena 55 gal tank , it came with a XP 2 as part of t he package . It was OK for a while but then I noticed that the flow rate was dropping off after about a week or so , and after that , found myself cleaning the pads every week or so . It might be worth , as I have done , investing in a lager external filter which will over filter your tank . The Eheim filter I replaced it with, cycles 1050 ltr's an hour , and has a lever in which I can adjust the flow accordingly . I know you said you didn't want a eheim , but if your wallet can take a bit of a beating , their worth every penny . Wink
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the lack of bio-media on the Magnum. I have filter floss sleever OVER the canister. Because I'm not running any carbon, I have floss inside the can as well. On top of that I could put the balls, discs, or tubes that the rest have in the hopper providing extra surface area. I picked up the 350 pro, which also included 2 bio wheels. I only clean mine once a month on top of that. Good luck whatever you decide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: