Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hmmm Angelfish
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WasFishy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)15:44    Post subject: Hmmm Angelfish Reply with quote

I have an Angelfish in my 20g high with a pair of Kissing Gouramis...A pleco..and 1 neon(yikes yes I know I need to get a school of them) My question is Could I add another Angelfish or perhaps two more?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I'd say no. Your tank is pretty well stocked as it is, not counting the poop machine pleco that'll grow to at least 3 feet long. Kissing gouramis get fairly large as well and may start to pick on your angel as they get more mature. Angels get 10" high and about 6" long. There's no way all those fish will fit in your tank. I would just get some more neons as they don't add too much to the bioload.
WasFishy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress The Kissing GOuramis and PLECO will be removed once they reach ohhh lets say about 6 inches? So I don't end up having them killing other fish.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even so, a breeding pair of angels will do nicely in a bare bottomed 20g high, but that's it. You would still need a larger tank if you want more angels and a school of neons. 2 angelfish that aren't a breeding pair don't have enough room to form territories in a 20g. There just isn't enough space.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is there won't be a "magic line" where you know your gourami and pleco are either stressing the bioload or becoming stunted, etc. So, adding more fish to a situation where you know the current population is going to outgrow the tank only causes the problems to happen sooner. That gourami and pleco aren't suited well for a 20 gallon tank, and even in a bigger tank they're poor tankmates for angelfish.

Incompatible fish aside though, here's my opinion about angelfish in a 20 gallon high. If they're the only fish in the tank, the bioload and tank dimensions can support 2 adults. The problem is that unless the 2 fish are a bonded pair (and a peaceful one...some aren't,) chances are you'd get one dominant fish and one bullied one...and the bullied one wouldn't last long. The only two ways to get a pair are to buy an established pair (which is usually very expensive) or two raise a group of juveniles up until a pair forms. The problem is, it's reallly hard to keep up with water quality for a group of large juvenile angelfish in a tank as small as a 20 gallon. You could end up having casualties as the pair testing trials happen, also...since there's not much room to escape to in a 20 gallon tank.

Lastly, neons with angelfish is always a debate. I say only do it if you don't mind if the neons eventually becoming a snack. Chances are if the angelfish is well fed and raised with the neons there won't be a problem...but don't forget that angelfish are predators and neons will eventually fit in their mouths.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: