Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cardinals VS Rummynoses
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Zoidberg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)9:38    Post subject: Cardinals VS Rummynoses Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a 20gal long (30") and I'd like to get a school of 6 of either one of these fish, but I can't decide which Confused

I've heard cardinals are hardier, but rummynoses display more interesting behaviour? True? Anyhow, what're your experiences and recommendations with these fish?

Also, would these fish be OK with a school of 6 tiger barbs in the tank too?

Cheers everyone.
barb
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardinals are more or less hardy once they are settled , the vast majority of cardinals are wild caught, and if I'm not wrong, rummy nose tetras are wild caught too, both fish are very sensitive to nitrites, so I recomend to not overstock your aquarium, I think you'll do a lot better with 10 cardinals and 10 rummy nose tetras, both fish live together in the same rivers in south america, I sugest to use a matured aquarium and if possible, water filtered thru peat, very very soft water and pH around 6.5, the combination of rummy nose and cardinals looks very beautiful, good luck Wink
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do rummynose get larger than cardinals?

In my opinion, either go with the cardinals, the rummynose, OR the tiger barbs...not a combination. Tiger barbs get rather fat, and they need a lot of room....I think in a 20 long you might be okay. But no other schools of fish....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
barb
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also kept cardinals, rummy nose tetras and tiger barbs, my aquarium never looked better, BUT keep at least 8 tiger barbs and buy the smallest they have at the store, they'll behave, tiger barbs aren't as mean as people thinks so, if I was you I'd get a larger aquarium
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20g just doesn't have enough room for full grown school of tigers. Once they start realizing there isn't enough room for everyone they will start picking each other off. These fish get a lot fatter and larger than most people think. I would think getting the school of rummynoses and cardinals instead of the tigers would be a much better solution.
eddie
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

IOE, Rummynoses have been very easy to take care of and they are interesting to watch because their activity.

As for tiger barbs, just as everyone else had said, don't do it. I have always had problems with tiger barbs in my twenty gallon; they constantly nipped fins of my other fish.

Another thing about cardinals; I have learned they don't adjust easily when introduced to new tanks. I have talked to many fish stores and they say they don't carry them for that reason.
Dr. Zoidberg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.05(Fri)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone Smile

I think I'll go for the cardinals instead of the rummynoses. Also, I have another tank with 6 goldskirt tetras. Since I shouldn't get tigers, could I move these into the 20gal with the cardinals instead?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: