Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New 65 Gallon Questions
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)8:49    Post subject: New 65 Gallon Questions Reply with quote

Hey gang, the wife and I just started gathering the parts for a new setup. Here's what we are gathering:
Aquaview stand and canopy http://www.aquaview.com/aq_gallery.html
65 gallon long tank
Ehiem 2215 filter
Marineland 300watt heater

My questions are with regards to the filter and lighting. We are being encouraged to go with the Ehiem 2215 due to it's queit operation, superior filtering and cost of operation. I had thought about an Emporer 400 but while it costs less initially the media changes will quickly catch up to the Ehiem. With the lighting the 48" strip light comes with a standard 32watt bulb but he will change it to an aqua-glo if we want. So far I'm not all that sold on the aqua-glo's as I have one in our 29gal and to me it could be brighter. They claim the standard bulb will be brighter as the aqua-glo tends to make the blue's stand out more? Your thoughts / suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Philster.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to go with the canister. Over all I like my canister better than the HOB. Operation is much quiter. If your water level drops it takes long for it to start making noise. They are easier to clean. I've only had to clean the impeller once so far. As far as the lighting, the aqua-glo will look darker. Blue and red show up darker to our eyes than orange and yellow (white bulbs). If your not growing plants go with what you like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Philster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Irons Smile , I appreciate your feedback. We plan on using our 29 gallon as our nursery tank once the 65 is cycled. Our little fella is going to claim the current 10 gal nursery tank for his 3 Danios. As for the new 65 gal once it's cycled we plan on transferring the fish out of the 29 gal at that point. Can we move them (14 fish Guppies/Platties/Swords & 1 pleco) all at once? or should it be gradual over a few days?

Philster.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)12:57    Post subject: Move fish with filter Reply with quote

If you set up the new filter alongside the one running in the 29 gallon right now and let it run long enough to get populated with bacteria, then you can take the filter and the fish out at the same time to the new tank.

In fact, you could probably put most of the filter stuff into the new cannister when you set it up and let the current filter start on a new cartridge. Then the cannister is at 100% pretty quick and the old filter can take a week or two to regrow its bacteria. With most of the bacteria and most of the fish going to the new tank at the same time, I'll be surprised if you see much of a cycle, especially if you take it easy on feeding.
Philster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news...thanks for reply.

Philster.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: