Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Okay... now Mr. apple snail has been floating for weeks... ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)12:16    Post subject: Okay... now Mr. apple snail has been floating for weeks... ? Reply with quote

Okay, my orange-sized golden apple snail has been floating at the surface of the water of the goldfish tank for two weeks. And he's NOT dead. His foot and head are out and moving around plenty, but he's not latching onto anything, even when he bumps against the glass in the current. At times, he will pull up into his shell to sleep while floating, then he'll wake up and keep floating just the same. I asked Jay (fish guy at the LFS, which has reasonably good advice) what this could be, and he said maybe he's irritated by either the water conditions or the fish nipping at him. Well, the goldies have nipped at him a couple times, but not enough to amount to much, really, but the pH is ETERNALLY acidic! I've been trying to raise the pH for months, but even after water changes, it won't come up, so that could be messing him up. Jay also said that he might do better in a different tank. So I moved him into the 29 gallon community, which has pefect pH. Nobody has nipped at him, and he's still floating and not doing anything but moving his antennae back and forth absently. Three questions:

1) What the heck???
2) I've been using pH increaser for months, but it won't do anything for raising the pH. Is there another way to raise it safely?
3) There is another, smaller golden apple snail in the 29 gallon. If they breed, will the offspring be eaten enough to keep the population down?

thanks,
Tanya
Berry
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the pH but every time your snail fills its lung it fills it to much that is why it is floating. if they breed the fish won't eat them nor will the adalt snails unless when they hatch they might I'm not sure hope your snail stops floating Wink
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the goldies will most likely eat the eggs of the apple snail.

Angelfishey: what are the exact numbers on your tank so we can get an idea of what's really going on. I would stop using the pH increaser ASAP though because that can cause your tank to 'crash".

Last edited by Huntress on 2003.08.31(Sun)15:30; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple snails do 'surf' as my kids call it. That's perfectly normal. In fact I've seen ramshorn and pond snails do the same thing (especially when we add food that floats).

What size is the goldfish tank, and how many are housed in there? If the KH is low that could cause the pH to drop. But it could be caused by the waste that goldfish create. Goldfish produce a lot of waste, and in small tanks it would be hard to keep the water chemistry stable for long (unless you're performing lots of water changes).

I agree with Huntress... I would stop add the pH increaser. Post back with as much info as possible so we can help find the problem.
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your pH increaser? It will say on the packaging...
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first question I would ask is what temperature are you keeping him in? Being a goldie tank it's probably unheated huh? Apple snails slow down considerably when in colder temperatures, and in fact can go into dormancy if the water gets down into the upper 60's.

As for the eggs issue, the fish won't likely get a chance to eat them unless the can jump a ways to do it. Most apple snails stick their eggs outside of the water, to the bottom side of your hood or what ever other lid you have. The eggs hatch at roughly the same time and the snails drop into the water. Most likely the fish would not be able to keep up with the hatch.

Here is a pic from my snails. The eggs never hatched even though I tried to intervene and move them to a wet sponge hatching setup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...

pH increaser:
Jungle pH Increaser

Tank size:
10 gallon

Fish:
two 2" long goldies (regular and black moor. They're very small and I'll probably get a bigger tank later on)

Okay, well, I know he's not "surfing", because I've seen the surfing. It's when a snail makes a "funnel" with his body at the surface of the water. He's not. He's completely floating, and he's shell top up. And I know it's because he has air in his shell, but it's very abnormal for ANYTHING to float for two/three weeks.... BUT, last night, he latched onto the glass, but he did nothing and let go later on. That's a VERY small improvement... maybe because the pH in the 29 gallon I moved him to is always neutral. Anyhow, the temperature in the goldie tank he was in was/is always room temperature, except in fall and winter, when it gets around 60 or something. But the 29 gallon he's in now has a heater and such. He kinda looks... dead, but he's not, because, even though his shell door is hanging half-open like a dead snail would do, I poke him gently and he pulls farther into his shell. Nobody is nipping at him, just looking at him strangely (lol). The snail that's in there already is perfectly active.

Huntress, if I don't use the pH increaser, what do I use???
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the pH in the tank? What is the pH in the tap? What is your KH level if the two values from tank and tap are different. What is your waterchange schedule? That's relivant due to the fact that you have massive waste producing goldies in there and it is such a small tank. Large ammounts of waste will cause the pH to drop which is a great indicator you need to do a water change.

If it's just a case of needing to raise your pH level because your tap water/tank water is too low, you can use crushed coral to naturally raise the level of your pH. Certain sands are also known to raise pH.
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the pH in the goldie tank is 6.0. Has been for months. Not sure what the pH in the tap is, though I DO use it in conjunction with water treatment. I'll go test it now...

Okay, the tap water directly from the tap is somewhere between 7.2 and 7.8. I also tested the tap water I treat and store in gallon jugs for the fish tanks and it's the same. So no link there.

My water change schedule is NORMALLY one big water change (almost all water out/gravel vaccuum) once a month, if not more than that. But if the tank needs it more, I'll give it a change more often.

I've tried the crushed coral gravel stuff before, and it DID work, so I'll filter through the nearby LFSs for some more...

Thanks!
Tanya

P.S. Last night, the snail latched onto the glass two more times, yet went nowhere. The first time he did it, I hand-fed him a shrimp pellet (yes, my snails take pellets right from my fingers) to give him a little energy, and obviously it worked. This morning, I woke up to see him all the way at the other side of the 29 gallon, floating. The current wouldn't allow him to float that far, so he obviously crawled that far, then let go and floated again. He's still floating.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the pH drops drastically between the tap and the buckets I can pretty much guarantee that your KH level is pretty low. Crushed coral will help to buffer the tank to keep the pH level more stable. I don't think the pH is why the snail isn't oing well though. He may be ill or not able to suction for long periods of time.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: