Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Which heater keeps your tank steady?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)7:41    Post subject: Which heater keeps your tank steady? Reply with quote

Hi I have whisper heaters in both of my tanks. The thing is if the temp in the house drops down too much I see a 3-4 degree change in the temp of my tanks!!! I know this is not good, but should I have two heaters in both? Is there heaters that ACTUally keep them at exactly 78 all the time. Even if its a chilly night?? The temps in our area are really starting to drop at night and I really want something to keep the temp more steady. Anyone know if a good brand that does this?? Thanks in advance for your replies. ~Nancy~
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy,

My heater of preference is the visi therm submersible heater. A 3-4 degree drop at night isn't terrible as it is actually simulating nightime conditions within their normal wild environment. Studies are still being done whether or not this is more beneficial to fish than keeping the temp at a totally constant temp. April's edition of Aquarium Hobbiest had an article about those same topics.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)10:02    Post subject: lighting effects? Reply with quote

I don't know the range that the tank is going through, but my tanks get a bit warm whent he lights are on, warmer than the heaer setting. When the house cools down the heater will kick in at it's setting. So the tank may go to 80 during the day then stay at 78 due to the heater at night.
Scrapper_511
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Ebo-Jager for years. However, here in S.Cali, temps don't fluctuate too drastically. In fact, right now I'm more concerned with getting the water temps to decrease to 78F. Just make sure you have a heater with enough wattage for your tank size and make sure you have adequate water flow to distribute the heat properly.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned about the temperature drop I would suggest that you have the proper wattage for you tank. IIRC is suggested as 5watts per gallons. If your heater hangs on the back you may want to consider getting a submerible. I used really cheap HOB heater and had problems. I have since moved over to Ebo-Jager's subermerible. I LOVE them. I set the temp and forget about them. In my 75gal I'm using two 200w heaters. They sit horzitonal near the gravel I can barely see them in the tank. If you are in North America you may want to check http://www.bigalsonline.com where I got mine. A better brand at cheaper than store prices, hard to beat.

Last edited by Irons on 2003.09.01(Mon)8:46; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I have whisper submersible heaters in both my 10 & 30 gal. They weren't cheap, buy yet not the most expensive either. Going to check out my LFS first otherwise might order one from the internet. Drs. Foster & Smith had all of the heaters you have mentioned. One last question. How do you go about making the switch. Keep the old heater in with the new one for a day or so then take the old one out? Thanks for your help! Wink ~Nancy~

Also should I maybe get the bigger heater for my 30 gal, I've been using the 15- 30 gal. Maybe I should get the 30 and up one? Wink
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just swap on a day I'll be home. This way I can monitor the temp throughout the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: