Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dragon Fish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)21:05    Post subject: Dragon Fish? Reply with quote

I was at Petsmart today and noticed they had a new fish, they call it a dragon fish. The don't have the info card with its scientific name on it. It looks a lot like a bichir more like the cuvier bichir if it was one of the ones in the gallery but its light blue or grayish blue in color. They're about 12" long, thats a guess. My question is does the cuvier bichir look blue while its younger or has anybody seen a blue colored bichir? And if you know what it is, can it be kept in a 46 gallon tank? Thanks for your help.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon fish is another name for arrowana. And I have seen these guys at PetsMart....what a shame for those fish!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for the poor unsuspecting souls who find their cute little fish grows to be a monster.

I feel more for that poor cute little fish that won't be properly taken care of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
moricollins
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be a blue dragon goby, I've seen them labled all sorts of different names.
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was an arowana, it was about 3/4 of an inch around, it was tube shaped like a bichir not fish shaped. Its a freshwater fish, or I guess it could be a brackish fish thats in fresh at sometime in its life as they have mollys there too.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dragon fish is actually a goby, the common name for it is the violet goby. You wouldnt really want to add these to a community tank because they grow to about 14inches and will eat all sorts of small fish, theyre also a brackish fish.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 2 fish are commonly known as Dragon Fish. Both the Arrowana and the Violet Goby are known by this common name. Actually the Violet Goby is more known as the Dragon Eel, than Fish. I've been seeing arrowanas at PetSmart a lot more lately and have yet to see any gobies at all, so I'd have to go with the arrowana in this instance.

Does it look like this?

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/garrow2.html

Which is way closer to looking like a bichir than a goby

or this?

http://www.whozoo.org/Anlife2001/johangus/jg_dragonfish.htm

Those are the best pictures I could come up with for both types of fish, now it's up to you to do the ID. I'm still going with arrowana than goby as it is much more commonly found a fish.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, the PetsMart I used to work at had kngiht gobies for a while....they usually died within the week, due to the freshwater of PetsMart tanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitely the Violet Goby, will they live in freshwater or saltwater after conditioned ala mollys or do they require brackish water? How big will they get? That website said somewhere between 15" and 2 feet. If they can live in fresh or saltwater how big a tank is required to keep them happy.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a yahoo search like I did on Violet Goby for those basic of questions. There are loads of sites that'll give you great info.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: