Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lotus
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrionFyre
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)14:34    Post subject: Lotus Reply with quote

Hi all, new here. I have been asked by some friends to ivestigate into growing some lotus.

They are good friends and have quite an extensive knowledge in growing land plants and have a very diverse garden, with some 1000 different plants. I myself do not know much about plants, but happen to have an internet connection.

They are quite fortunate and own quite a few acres of land. Carl is deeply involved in the buddhist culture and theology and has a little place out in the trees for his quite reflection. It is an area approximately 70 feet x 40 feet with surrounding trees in any direction for about another 100 feet. The two of them have gone to great effort to make the area peaceful and aromatic and simply quite beautiful. Three small weddings have been held there...

The gardens themselves are divided up into different lands I suppose you could call it. Specialty plants from all around the world all grouped together. The sheer beauty of it all is simply quite amazing.

He wants to build a pond there and have an array of aquatic plants. He asked me to look into the feasability of it. He bealieves the pond will end up being 15-20 feet in diameter with a large stone in the center for sitting, and small stones for a walkway. The sketches he has look quite nice and I feel it would be quite the undertaking to accomplish and maintain.

We live in Omaha Nebraska, the summers can be quite humid and the winters downright cold. Any links or websites you can give me so I can get them info on the whole process would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the reason they want to do this pond thing is to challenge themselves. So thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)15:45    Post subject: Best link Reply with quote

This is the best link I can offer, I've got others, but the folks here are great and there are a very very wise gurus there who can help.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/ponds/?4269

Some of the other links I had from last summer have failed, there was a great sit with lots of construction info, gone now.

Be sure to search the koi sites, as they will have a lot of info on construction. Just do a Google search to start, you will be quickly ovewhelmed.

One caution, I suggest making it deep enough for koi to overwinter. They may not think they will have fish, but they will want to add fish later. (Gotta have fish to eat mosquitoes, goldfish are nice, koi are nicer.) Koi add a note of life and beauty to the pond that is irresistible, but they are hard on plants and the pond must be designed properly. This would include bottom drains and adaquate filtration and circulation as well as proper depth for your winters and specific sites for plants which will be protected from the fish uprooting them.
OrionFyre
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)18:02    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Great thanks for the link. Looks good I'l deffinately look into it.

I called them and conveyed your message to them, they were indeed planning on stocking the pond with koi. Due to the size he was easily planning on having the watter 5 feet deep. The center rock pile will cover the innerworking of a waterfall which will run down the sides of this form that rises 3 feet out of the water.

A nice touch he's adding is leaf like stepping platform. They will comission a stainless steel support structure that will have upshoots for the steps which will look like leaves. So that'll be nice.

The only funny thing is, that the trees are close enough, and teh garden is so full that there would be no way to bring in equiptment to dig the required opening in the ground. And somehow I managed to fall for volunteering to help them dig it.

Carl would like the primary plant in focus to be the lotus' but feels that all lotus would be a bit borring, what other aquatic plant life would go in well with an asian themed garden? Also, should they line the pond in concrete? or line it somehow?

OK, someone sent me a link jsut now.
http://www.plantconnection.com/GardenInfo/WATERGrowingLotus.cfm
on there it says "Never bare root them into a pond unless all you want is one giant lotus patch! " Would they populate fast enough to not have ot worry about being uprooted by the koi? ot should tehy beuild some ledges in there to prevent the koi from getting to them never-the-less.?

Thanks again so much for your replies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)21:24    Post subject: You probably need an expert there Reply with quote

I can only help a little here. I've seen mud ponds that were one big lotus patch, so I think that could be a problem.

I had a lotus in mud in a large pot with no holes in it and the koi I had did not manage to dig it up, but they will toss out the large rocks I had placed on the pot, egg sized rocks and better and eat the roots.

This pond sounds like they are willing to do it right, and spend the money necessary. You are talking about a lot of gallons, the plumbing will be a big deal. I vote for calling in professional help to do it right. There will be aquatic gardens somewhere in your area, call the botanic gardens for help finding pond experts.

Did you find the AKCA-koi site? There will be a Koi club for your area, they will know local experts -- heck, they ARE the local experts. You probably want to meet these folks now, they will be excited to see what youv'e got planned.

As for the Asian garden -- China and Japan are the sites of origin for most of the cultivated plants in the country. The garden has become High Art there, very hard to just jump in and do a good job with the multiple levels of meaning that Asian gardens involve. Search online for Japanese gardens and you'll find several site with lots of pictures to look at.

Serenity is key, do more with less. But first, you have to get the plumbing right, very hard to fix that afterward. And, find a way to get machinery in to dig, you are not going to be able to dig a 5 foot deep 20 foot by 10 foot pond by hand unless you have slave labor involved. Pool companies dig deep holes in tight quarters all the time. If the tree roots are in the way, the tree is too close and will clog the pond with leaves anyhow.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with a the previously mentioned google search you may also want to make inquieres with your local pond supply store and botanical gardens. If you are fortunate you have one in your area it would be well worth the trip. Some of those people are there for a true love of plants. They may have the best knowledge in your area on what can be kept in a pond in your area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OrionFyre
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonapersona, hey thanks.

I called them last night and told them they'll need to call and get prof's in to help build the plumbing system. As for the equiptment it might be possible, we'd have to convince Carl to cut down some shrubbery, but if it will save time. If we can't then no biggy. The two of them are in tip-top physical condition, and I just got done helping father dig an addition to our driveway (approximately 12 cubic yards..) and a 20' diameter pond would only be 60 cubes sooo not to much harder. But youa re right, machinery will be helpful.

Carl has since purchased two books on aquatic plant life (recommendations from another board). and is reading into what osrt of plants and grasses and such could help ease the load on the filtering.

So now that they're off and running on it I'd like ot say thanks for your reccomendations. and I'll try and get pictures of the process if interested.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.31(Sun)16:43    Post subject: Digging holes Reply with quote

The dirt isn't so much the problem, it's the rock snd the tree roots, then the rain....
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in my area there are mini digging equipment. They are MAYBE the width of car. The scoop isn't big, but it might fit in your tight space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: