Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank Setup
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueyes
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)8:10    Post subject: Tank Setup Reply with quote

My Fish tank has been running for 2 weeks now
after the first week I added 4 mollies and 2 playts
fish are OK.

My tank is a 160 lites I've done a water change on Tuesday, I take out 20 litres was this enough Idea

I've just done my water test's
Here are the results

Ammonia 0.4

Nitrite 0.1

Nitrate 50

pH 8.5

Is this good or Bad Confused

Temp of tank is 26c

Thanks for your time and Help Very Happy
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems your tank is cycling pretty well.
You need to get your nitrates down to at least 25, preferably down to 10.
I would recommend you test the tank water, then change 50 litres and then test the tank water again. Don't forget to use a dechlorinator if using tap water for your changes! Smile
Your Ammonia and Nitrite want to end up as 0. They are nearly there but make sure they are 0 for a few days before adding any new fish.

The pH of 8.5 is a bit high, have you tested your tap water for pH? Run some into a jar and leave it over night, then test the pH to see what you get.
If your tap water has a high KH, GH and pH of 8.5 you might be more suited to keeping some African Rift Lake Cichlids. Very Happy
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nitrAtes are especially high right now b/c there are nitrItes still in the water. Most nitrAte tests test for nitrIte (hence the more complicated multiple steps and shaking--converting nitrAte back to nitrIte). Having .1 nitrIte will raise the nitrAte levels when tested.

Right now, the more important level is the ammonia. .4 ammonia is very high and toxic, and having a high temp can intensify the effects. You're in the beginning/middle stage of cycling, and doing daily 10-15% water changes will help ease the stress on the fish.

To get a better understanding of cycling, read this http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

You've picked some nice fish to start, and they should be OK in your pH. You can add more after your cycle is complete wtih ammonia and nitrite at 0. Once you're done cycling, a weekly 15-20% water change should be OK.

Good luck! you are on the way to having a great tank!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: