Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does this qualify as a near disaster?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)20:25    Post subject: Does this qualify as a near disaster? Reply with quote

Tank: 20 gallons
Been running since last June
AC 200 filter
Handfuls of hornwort, some strands a foot long Shocked
Some java moss

Other life: 2 mollies (one of them a balloon, both female), 3 albino cories, 2 bristlenose plecos (one going to an lfs next week).

A few days ago, the golden wonder killifish that resided in the tank died. I suspect the cause was the now gone male molly picking on it. On the same day, I did a 25% water change.

Now, I'm worried about one of my cories: it leans on its side, almost lying down on its side sometimes, and doesn't move much save to breathe. When I act to net it, it springs up and takes off. Okay, thinks I, this does not seem to be a common cory game. What gives?

On Wednesday, when I removed the male molly (and the killifish died), I removed a tree-branch ornament; there's a hole in the bottom of said ornament, and the foulest reek stench came from the hole as I rinsed the ornament off. I rinsed it several times, filled and emptied the hole, and the smell diminished. It smelled like bad water, like burnt something as well!

Today I noticed another cory leaning to its side, springing up and away when I get the net. Also, my balloon molly female was dangerously almost floating on one side near the top of the water level.

WHAT is going on????

(tests done 30 mins ago)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30ppm
Cl: 0
pH: 8.4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know for sure what the problem id, but if you suspect the branch, take it out! and start doing some daily water changes until you see differenet behavior
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)12:09    Post subject: source of tree branch? Reply with quote

I find that the reptile ornaments are too near the fish ornaments in some stores. It may not have been considered "fish safe" in the first place. The branch is rotting and/or releasing foul things.

Get rid of it at once, do large water changes.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the branch out last night....no more leaning cories, but the balloon molly still has me worried. I'm not sure if I bought a weak fish, or what, but she still hides in the floating hornwort, and looks dead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the branch created an anaerobic area in your tank. The hole in the bottom of the branch was an area where there was probably no water movement. Maybe someone else can explain the dangers of anaerobic 'dead spots' in aquaria. Did you do a large water change after removing the branch? That's what I would do.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd thing was that this hole, at the bottom of the ornament, was actually NOT in the gravel; I had tipped the ornament on its side, and the hole was exposed to the tank overall, plus plants and filtration.

Hmmm.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the hole would have to have been in the gravel to create anaerobic conditions. The wood itself, if it is rotting and depending on it's own porosity, could still become anaerobic without having to be buried. Even though the hole was exposed, unless it was directly in the path of some current or a favorite hiding place of some fish, there would have been little water movement in there.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: