Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Water Wisteria
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)17:02    Post subject: Water Wisteria Reply with quote

Hey all,
In my 29 gallon planted tank I used to have quite a lot of Hygrophila Deformis and it used to grow really well, lots of new shoots running out across the substrate etc. I wanted to accelerate growth in general so I began injecting CO2 to bring the level to 15ppm.
All my plants took off at this point, bubbling like crazy every afternoon.....except for the Water Wisteria. It started to produce less growth and became 'leggy', no amount of pruning helped and eventually I lost all of it. It just curled up and died.
Anyone know why this might happen? Every other plant is doing well, I'm adding Micro/Macro nutrients, Nitrate at 18ppm etc.
I just don't understand it Confused
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an extremely odd situation. If the CO2 injection is related to the plant death, then it would seem to me that the logical blame would be a toxic amount of a micro nutrient was present. (Copper would be my first guess) The CO2 while not the direct cause of death was likely the accelerator of death rather than growth. It is also possible the plant already was in a compromised health state before the CO2 was started. Have you replaced the plant with a new healthy specimen? I'm very curious to hear if the process repeats.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you're saying about the micro nutrients but why would this only effect the wisteria? If it was toxic copper (or something) would it not effect other plants the same? I also have quite a bit of Hygrophila corymbosa but this and other plants are doing fine. The plant in question was in there growing well (steadily) for at least 6 months before I started CO2. I should also mention that there were about 8 individual plants which were all from cuttings of one original parent plant. I don't think copper could be present as my water treatment neutralises heavy metals and the nutrients I add consist of Muriate of Potash, Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Citrate, and Iron EDTA. Confused
I think I will get some more when I have a re-scape, no room for new plants at the moment as my Ludwigia Repens and Micranthemum umbrosum are going wild! Very Happy
Anyways, I suppose we might never know what happened there but I will keep you posted when I get some more!

Cheers Steve
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type-R - are those your fish? looks lovely, what are they?
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats an interesting plant disaster. I had a water Wisteris (Too much of it infrom) getting light only from regular halogen bulbs. Now I replaced my bulbs and cut the bottom of the plant because it was a long stem with no leaves. Now with the new 6700K bulbs giving out 3.75 wpg and with a CO2 injector I have to trim the plant every 3-5 days because it grows so much. But one thing I did notice is that this plant does not release bubbles that easily. I think the reason is because the plant covers a lot of area with it's leaves, so enough oxygen can disolve in the water before it can accumilate to form a bubble.

I Bleached this plant with 19 parts water and 1 part bleach... It died in about 2 days. ( it was 2 feet tall and branched about a foot in diameter)
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Type-R, we may be weird...but we can be weird together? I had the same thing happen to my wysteria, and I've noticed a similar pattern with my ambulia. The ambulia doesn't die in my co2 injected tank, but it's leggier (I think I just made up that word.) I had this huge growth of it before I switched over to co2 and then it just sort of wilted into unhealthy plants. While wilting I grabbed some and threw them in my non co2 tanks...started growing like mad. I've since reintroduced some of the thick bunches of ambulia back to my co2 tank and it took them just a few days before they started to get leggy.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.04(Thu)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possilbe that you stopped CO2 and the plant simply could not adapt? Or the pH might have dropped. I have a wisteria in my tank low tech tank right now(just bought it 2 days ago) and I hope that never happens to me.

Maybe they have this cycle(The same as the vals) where they just grow like wild, and since you added c02 and fertilizers, the cycle was accelerated. And then, it jhust wilts...it is highly unliknely this is the case but who knows....

Last edited by revengeishere on 2003.09.07(Sun)18:48; edited 1 time in total
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's nice to know I'm not alone on this one Cyradia!
I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation, but until this comes to light..... I can only conclude that it was the work of Aqua-pixies, those pesky little fellas that live at the bottom of the Aqua-garden!

Oh yeah and Minky yes those are some of my fish. It's a young pair of Blue Rams and the other one in shot is a full grown female Black Phantom Tetra.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: