Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Otter Point Peacock (Aulonocara jacobfreibergi) in Community
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redb33tle
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)14:10    Post subject: Otter Point Peacock (Aulonocara jacobfreibergi) in Community Reply with quote

I've been offered 3 Aulonocara jacobfreibergi, I realize they are a cichlid, and well, taking them on may turn me into a cichlid dude. But, if I were to take them in, they would have to go into my 48gal planted. From what I've been told and read, I suppose they are a carnivorous fish, so my plants should be okay. Will they be?? I would move my tetras into a 10. Leaving 2 medium angels, a clown loach, and a biggish pleco. Would this work? And could I add a school (6-9) of larger rainbows to the bunch? Right now I am told the Aulonocara jacobfreibergi are about 2 inches. Anything is appriciated. Smile Thanks.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fish are a type of African cichlid, usually refered to as 'peacocks.' There are tons and tons of different types of cichlids...angelfish being a south american type. It's usually advised that you do not keep african and south american cichlids together because of different communication behaviors and water conditions needs. These jacobs will be more at home in more alkaline water with lots of rockwork and caves to hide in.

I would recommend reading about them on pages like:

This Cichlid Forum Article

and pay special attention to tidbits like...

A. jacobfreibergi differs from other Aulonocara species in its temperment. Instead of being overtly peaceful, this fish tends toward being more belicose at times, fighting off any invaders in their territory. Furthermore, whereas most Peacocks hug the substrate of the open, sandy areas of the lake, A. jacobfreibergi is seldom observed by divers, unless they know right where to look. That's because this Cichlid spends most of its time living inside, or close to large dark caves.

I'd be pretty hesitant to throw them in with angels. All of that said, some people find unusual fish combinations that work for them...but at least have a back-up plan ready if things start to go sour.
[/url]
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)20:44    Post subject: Sounds good. Reply with quote

After introducing the fish into the 48g, I noticed the territorial behavior almost immediately. The fish are only 2inches and could easily be moved into a 10g if necessary, but for a night or two I'll let things be. And if things do get sour, I've got that option.
I saw a tank with firemouths, black serpae's and cherry barbs?! Is that odd?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: