Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
python
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryann
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)6:51    Post subject: python Reply with quote

the python siphon thing.......is that the one that the sink needs to run the entire time? I remember a friend having one and hubby saying he didn't like to "waste" all the water from the sink running the whole time.....true?

still new to the fish world
Danco
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, if your sink level is not lower than your tank.
Mine is, you could drian it to a toilet thats lower than your tank or outside.
I just use a clear tube from home depot with a hose fitting and teflon adapter to my faucet to fill. siphon to drian. much cheaper than buying the python name. if you really want the python faucet eductor all it is a 4.99 water bed fill and drian eductor and a tube, gravel vac marked up ten fold!
any local hardware store sells waterbed eductors.
Quod edero spinem
Popoculus nautus sum
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)23:59    Post subject: Re: python Reply with quote

maryann wrote:
the python siphon thing.......is that the one that the sink needs to run the entire time? I remember a friend having one and hubby saying he didn't like to "waste" all the water from the sink running the whole time.....true?

Yes it's true. The suction that draws water from the tank is created by the water running from your sink tap. I too used to have a hard time dealing with the amount of water this wastes, but now I live in an apartment where water is included at no charge Very Happy

The best alternative I found to this (actually it's the old way I did it before discovering pythons) was to use a standard gravel vacuum to start a siphon going into a garden hose which was stretched out the front door and into the yard, or flower garden. On the "yard" end of this hose is your standard female garden hose connector. I then had an adapter that fit the kitchen faucet to hook the "yard" end of this same hose up to when it was time to fill the tank again. The worst problem with doing it this way was having to run the hose through the livingroom for people to walk/trip on. Plus, the hose never failed to get muddy on the yard end which always got brought into the house...Needless to say, my wife was quite pleased when I abandoned this method in favor of the python.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maryann
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)5:56    Post subject: bummer Reply with quote

the bummer Confused part of this whole concept is..........the kitchen sink has one of those fancy faucets that you can pull out of the base and spray the entire kitchen if you wanted to Evil or Very Mad ...there isnt a way to hook up a hose adapter to it.

I do like the idea of getting a longer tube (at Lowes) for the siphon I already have and running it out the door or window nearby....at least it would mean HALF the trips I make now with the buckets Laughing !

still new to the fish world
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)10:04    Post subject: Re: bummer Reply with quote

maryann wrote:
...there isnt a way to hook up a hose adapter to it.
Hmmm...maybe a bathroom faucet? Any faucet that has a standard screw-on aireator(spelling??) will accept the adaptor that comes with the python.

On the other hand, hauling buckets can be quite the excercise/workout Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: