Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planted tank from scratch
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Ian_
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)4:46    Post subject: Planted tank from scratch Reply with quote

Right I want to set up a tank that has purly plants in it. This will be used as a nursery to cultivate plants before they go into my other tanks.

The Tank I have available is a 10 gal, I have a heater and an internal filter which I plan to use.

Questions;

What substrate should I use?

Is it necessary to have any livestock in the tank? (I was thinking possibly some shrimp if I had to)

all comments appreciated.

cheers
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define purley?
Do you mean pearly coloured like mother-of-pearl or do you mean plants that give off a lot of oxygen bubbles (called pearling). Or do you mean pretty?

In terms of substrate, good nutritious substrate would be required for nutrient demanding plants, but if you want to cultivate easy plants like java moss, hornwort, java fern etc. you could probably get away with normal gravel, some CO2 injection and some moderate light and maybe a basic fertiliser.

Shrimp may be able to keep algae at bay, and you may want fish as a source of nitrogenous waste, but alternatively you could inject nitrogen as well.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: