Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Charcoal and Peat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus-Gus
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)23:25    Post subject: Charcoal and Peat Reply with quote

Hi. I am using charcoal in my tank at the moment to clear up some cloudiness. I want to add peat but I am worried that the charcoal may cancel out the properties of the peat in the water. Should I remove the charcoal before I add the peat or can they be used at the same time in the tank without any loss of effect to either?
Appreciate it if anyone can help.
Thanks.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

they can be used together, the charcoal will not negate the effects of peat.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The activated carbon, if it's still effective, will be pulling the peat's tannins from the water. You'd be working against yourself.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

wetman, isn't that a good thing?

Perhaps you are right and Gus wants the Tanins or the discoloured water...

I only use Peat to lower pH, and reduce hardness for breeding purposes, guess I assumed thats what he uses it for as well. Carbon does not seem to alter the pH any so I saw no issue from using both.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have peat in the filter, don't you usually want the tannins etc? Maybe not... The softening effects of peat, will they be very noticeable in highly buffered water? (I have no personal experience except with NYC's soft water, where peat can really lower the pH.)

The question-- and there's no solid agreement-- is this: do the dissolved humins from peat continue to bind calcium and magnesium, thus mildly softening the water, even while they are adsorbed to activated carbon in the filter?

I have no answer to this question. It's an interesting concern, eh?
Gus-Gus
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to respond - even though I am just as perplexed as before! I'll wait a few more days before deciding what to do. If anyone happens to know the answers to the questions from the questions, please let me know.
Does anyone know if there are any benefits to the tannins to the water?
Thanks.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus-Gus wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any benefits to the tannins to the water?
OK, I'm just guessing here, but isn't the benefit you are looking for, softer water and a lowering of your pH? This is probably too simplistic, but the tannins (tanic acid) released by the peat are what softens the water. The side affect of having this in your water is that it colors it a nice soft brown tea color.

As for the question: Does it still soften water once it is bound to charcoal? I have no clue. Sounds like someone needs to do some serious testing... (wetman Wink) One could set up an experiment on a spare tank, absolutely saturate the water with tannins, use charcoal to clear them out, then transfer this charcoal to the test tank. If the water in the test tank which has never been exposed to the peat directly, softens in the presence of the tannin laden charcoal we would have the answer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
One could set up an experiment on a spare tank, absolutely saturate the water with tannins, use charcoal to clear them out, then transfer this charcoal to the test tank. If the water in the test tank which has never been exposed to the peat directly, softens in the presence of the tannin laden charcoal we would have the answer.

Good thinking. I don't see any flaw in this. You need a couple of tanks, and a control, with carbon that hasn't been permeated with tannin... I think a Westinghouse Scholarship will be sending you to Stanford...
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

wetmanNY wrote:
I think a Westinghouse Scholarship will be sending you to Stanford...

No, I want to go somewhere far away...I live within walking distance (well, maybe biking distance) from Stanford already...

My problem is that my tap water is already so soft that I would have to harden it up just to attempt to soften it... Rolling Eyes Plus I'm out of tank space in my little apartment...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wetmanNY
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Plus I'm out of tank space in my little apartment...

You and me both! Oh well, it's not how many tanks you run. It's how curiously you look.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: