Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yet another lighting question: too much light?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)18:01    Post subject: Yet another lighting question: too much light? Reply with quote

I recently got a full spectrum screw in compact flourescent bulb that is the equivalent of 75W. The problem is that it seems to leave my 29gal. a little on the dark side. I'm currently growing swords, rotala, and wisteria so I am concernced about too little light, but if I get another bulb will I be creating too much light? My fish love the setup right now since they probably don't feel as exposed as they did when I was just running a regular flourescent.

Thoughts? Comments?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wattage listing on the bulb? As flourescent are the most common bulb's used, we generaly list and relate to that more often.

I.E. If your bulb burns 15 watts. This means you have 1/2watt per gallon. You might want to consider moving this up to 2 WPG. Such as 2 - 20watt bulbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:15    Post subject: probably 19 watts? Reply with quote

Add two of those. At least. I run two of those on a 10 gallon.

The 55 watt CF from AHSupply is much better for the 29 gallon tank, fits right into the hood you have now, just rip the guts out and replace.
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a 20W bulb, but I thought with the compact flourescents, it was the equivalent output that counted, making it over 2.5w/gal.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly not. The comparision is for your lumes. A 75watt bulb puts out x amount of light. It's CF equialant would have to also put out x light, but it uses less power to do so. In your case 20watts. So to get the same lighting you would have to put 150 watts of regular bulbs to get the same amount of light out of two 20 CP's for 2WPG. Then you have spectrum. This is where it gets more involved. Plants will most likely grow better under 40watt's CP than the 150watts burned by standard bulbs. There should be a couple of other dicussions in this area on the subject. Good luck. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the other discussions, but they weren't too clear on how to figure out what the wattage is using CF bulbs. How do I figure out how many bulbs I'll need (particularly for my other tanks, one a 65gal. and another 10gal.)?

Someone mentioned that using the full spectrum reptile lights (not the heat lamp kind, a company called ESU Reptiles actually makes a CF full-spectrum bulb) was not a good idea. Do you know why? It says it covers UVA and UVB (290-320nm--the only info it has listed). How do I determine if this is appropriate for my plants?
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw-in CF bulbs are rated by the watts used..... all bulbs are for that matter.

The screw-in CF ratings are misleading because of the energy saving comparison ie: the output of 75 watts with only 15 watts used. That is only a 15 watt bulb!

For your 10g and 65g it is a question of how much lighting do you want. If you are going to use the screw-in CFs then two 13 or 15 watt bulbs will do for the 10g, again that is based on the watts used. For your 65g I would go with a 4x55 set up from A H Supply.

ESU also makes fine aquarium/plant lighting, better known as Coralife.

Hope this helps
Fred
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked So let me get this straight... even though I'm using CF bulbs, in order to get the 2w/gal that my plants need in my 29gal., for example, I would need three CF bulbs at 20W each (I'm hoping for heavily planted tanks for all my tanks, btw).

Doesn't that negate the purpose of CF bulbs, which I thought was to get a higher output with less energy used? Sorry if there's something I'm not understanding... Embarassed
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an energy saving gimmick..... they are as visually bright as the regular incandescants while using less electricity. What we see/perceive is not what plants need! Screw-in CFs were not originally intended for aquarium/plant use. So yes you would need three 20 watt screw-in CFs to get ~ 2wpg in your 29g.

I think part of the confusion about screw-in CFs is the comparison for energy savings, I also think that you may be confusing screw-in Compact Flourescents and Power Compacts.... two very different beasts ;^)

Again for your 65g I would go with A H Supply's 4x55watt and you may find it easier to go with their 1x55 or 2x36 for the 29g.

Fred
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

After speaking to someone at my lfs (it's a very nice lfs, they actually know what they're doing...) what you've been saying finally started to sink in. And what you're saying now about what we see and what plants need definitely explains everything.

Gonna have to just chalk out the money and get the retrofit kits (which isn't too bad considering what I need).

Thanks for being so patient with me. I really appreciate the help. Mr. Green
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: