Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Peter's Aquatic Plant substrate?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)17:44    Post subject: Peter's Aquatic Plant substrate? Reply with quote

I just saw this today at Home Depot, and I was considering picking it up to use on some of my tanks since it has a lighter brown/tan color and wouldn't interfere with the light color of the sand substrate I'm using. Has anyone had any experience with this, and is it really fish safe (the package claims it is, but you never know...)
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it say aquatic plant, then it might be safe. I haven't seen it yet, but will prolly look at it. What section did you found this thing??

thanks.
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the plant section. I stumbled across a bag when I was looking at potting soil.
kaoschan
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify this whole thing, since I just bought the stuff finally, it's actually from Schultz, and it's called Aquatic Plant Soil. Apparently it's Fuller's earth.

Is anyone familiar with this? Couldn't find any more than the occasional mention when I did a search.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used this myself. I'm looking in google and seening nothing but good reviews. "Made from a kiln-fired 100% mineral substance" and "I used the clay soil conditioner... works fine.... the ingredian of clay
soil conditioner and aquatic plant soil are the same.... yes, the SAME!..
100% Arcillite." It sounds to me similar to other substrate already avaible. Such as Flourite or Laterite (sp?). I'd really have to see it to give you more information. You many want to google on it and read the reviews and information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaoschan wrote:
Just to clarify this whole thing, since I just bought the stuff finally, it's actually from Schultz, and it's called Aquatic Plant Soil. Apparently it's Fuller's earth.

Is anyone familiar with this? Couldn't find any more than the occasional mention when I did a search.

Yes, I've used Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil. Personally I don't like it for two reasons.

1) I don't like the color, it's a tanish orange clay color...too light for my taste.

2) More importantly is the weight. This stuff is very light weight. It's difficult to keep plants, especially stem plants, from floating out of the substrate. Even fish swimming close to the substrate disturbs this light weight material.

For clarification, this is not similar in any way to Flourite or Laterite. Flourite is much darker and much heavier in weight. Plants stay rooted without problems in Flourite. Flourite contains more minerals than does the Schultz. Both Schultz and Flourite should be used at 100% for best results. Laterite is very different from both Schultz and Flourite. Laterite is rich in iron and is used as a supplement to gravel/sand/loam at a rate of 1 oz. per gallon of tank water, and needs be be located in the bottom half of the substrate.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: