Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Red Devil Mating with Red Parrot Fish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiltee
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)15:16    Post subject: Red Devil Mating with Red Parrot Fish Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Red Devil & a Pattot fish.. For the past 3 days they have been playing the mating game.. Today we noticed that they had indeed laid eggs.

Can I ask does anyone know if these eggs will be fertile.. The Pattot is the fish that is inside the cave and the Red Devil is outside on guard... (So I'm assuming that the Parrot is the Female and the Devil The Male)..

They are both about 5 inches in length so I don't know if they are even old enough to breed.

I know that the parrot is a cross between the red devil and another cichlid and read that hey don't often breed as they are infertil, but wondering with the Red Devil being one of the partners if it is possible?

And how long does it take the eggs to hatch?

Thanks
Kiltee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone could do anything more than guess...My guess is that they probably will hatch Smile

If they are going to hatch, it should only take a couple of days before they do. After that, they will be wigglers, still attached to the rock by their egg yolks. They may stay this way for another few days and the parents may attempt to move them during this time. The whole process should be over and they should be free swimming in a week's time. Keep us posted please. I'm very curious to know if they hatch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kiltee
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)16:01    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi...

You think You are curious... LOL I'm so thrilled that I'm on cloud nine.. Not that I would know what to do with all the fry.. Rolling Eyes

At another point in time... we had two parrots who tried to mate, but nothing came of it.

I certainly will keep you posted... This is a great place... Smile

I have some baby Krebs and I'm anxious to see how they make out. (Not in the same take as the Red Devil & Parrot).

I have 5 of them and there are three who seem to be a little different from the other two. I'm not even sure yet if I have males or females.. I am pretty sure that I have at least ONE pair but the others are too small yet..

Thanks for answering.. I'm definately going to keep in touch..

Kiltee Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)21:05    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Kiltee wrote:
Not that I would know what to do with all the fry...

That could be a problem. Hard to tell how many eggs the parrot was able to deposit, but it could be a lot. My breeding pair of RD's used to have absolutely enormous broods, and it's been a while since I showed them off, so...
Fry Cloud
Wiggler Mass

If they are successful please be careful not to give away or sell any of the offspring to anyone who doesn't appreciate the fact that it is a hybrid. Your best bet going forward is to either find hungry mouths to feed with the fry when they are tiny, or if you can't deal with that, you can remove what ever object/rock/cave they stuck the eggs to, and clean it off before they have a chance to hatch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kiltee
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)7:05    Post subject: Hi again Reply with quote

Hi and good morning.. Thanks for the photos.. I don't think you need worry about the fry..

There are a lot of eggs, but this morning they look the same as yesterday evening... Most are just a small round transparent ball. It's difficult to see them as they are inside a barrel. However we can see that some look whitish color.

In any event I know my sister wants to keep a few if anything comes of it. Also I know the pet shop owner well so if she wants them I will be certain to tell her the situation.. As for the rest of them, I'm sure that they will do doubt become fish food. My Other Sister owns a Tigar Oscar so there will be no problem finding a hungry fish. Laughing

I wish I could grab a photo for you but I've tried many times with my little digital but it's just not good enough to take fish pictures..

Will definately keep you posted.

Kiltee
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my learning of biology, if the two species mated the offspring will be
a) deformed
b) sterile
c) not even fertilised

We say dogs can mate together but they are all varieties of a species.
How close are these two species biologically? Same family?
Kiltee
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm ..... don't know what happened.. Tried to reply.. Lost it..

Oh well..

Back to the eggs... I am afraid that you are probably right... By tomorrow we should know for sure.. If there is no change I'm sure that things are definately not right.

But will be watching and will keep you posted..

Thanks for responding..

Kiltee
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eggs are infertile, which is no surprise, and that is why they are getting fungused and turning white.
You should probably remove them from the tank before they make a huge mess.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

PharCyde wrote:
From my learning of biology, if the two species mated the offspring will be
a) deformed
b) sterile
c) not even fertilised

No that is not correct. Hybridization alone does not cause sterility, deformation, nor can anyone assume that the eggs are not fertilized as these are both cichlids.

The Old Salt wrote:
The eggs are infertile, which is no surprise, and that is why they are getting fungused and turning white.
You should probably remove them from the tank before they make a huge mess.
The poster said they were transparent. Only some were white. These will be unfertilized, however that is often the case in any batch of eggs. ome turn white, others can still be fertilized.

The two of you obviously don't like hybrids, thats fine, but be nice... kiltee's happy at them spawning.

Kiltee, congrats, keep us posted, I'd love to hear if these do hatch Smile
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't hatch, the female will likely eat them, at least that's what's happened the few times my two parrots tried to breed. I wouldn't really worry about cleaning them out.

Good luck.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: