Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Please help to identify this
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on lake Champlain and man were they gross, all of those dead mayflies in the water, it was disgusting, if you tried to go for a swim off the boat you had to dodge these huge tides almost of dead mayflies, what you described as being in your tank, I don't think are a mayfly, there are plenty of other aquatic bugs so keep looking for the right thing in there, but just a warning, a lot of those aquatic bugs can get big, and then eat small fish, so just keep an eye on the tank.

Also I was wondering, from what you described, it kindof reminded me of a dragonfly larvae, if it is, keep it away from your fish, they arent parasitic, but they are carnivorous and will eat the fish if they get big enough, just look up some dragonfly larvae because thats what they remind me of.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the legs all clumped together near the front, leaving the rest of the body long and legless?

Does this tail pulsate?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be this?
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/damsel-nymph.jpg
Damsel fly nymph?
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS~
The legs are clumped together towards the front of his body. And the only time that his tail would move (pulsate?) was when he would swim around. I use past tense, cause he had died overnight. Do you have a clue as to what it might be?

Discus~
It looks similar to the picture you have, except his tail is solid (fan-like), and his eyes are white. I had seen different pictures like that when I was looking at Dragonflies and Damsels.

I know it's an insect of some sort, from all of the sites that I have visited. The closest is the picture that Discus had found. I'm assuming that he was probably on one of the plants that I purchased about a month ago. He was the only one that I found in the tank (55g). And like Tommy said, I've learned more about insects in the last 24 hours than I ever have.
I appreciate everything that all of you have been doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: