Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Please help to identify this
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)14:13    Post subject: Please help to identify this Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this Confused ...Just now as I am cleaning my tank, I found the weirdest looking creature in my aquarium's filter. It's tan in color, about 3/4 of an inch in length, has 6 legs, 2 large (almost bulging) eyes, and a tail fin. I've never really seen anything like this. The nitrites and amonia are 0, the pH is 7.4, and the temperature is 80 degrees. Is this a type of parasite? Has anyone seen this type of thing before? I saved it in a glass, hoping to find out what it is.
I'm very curious...if anyone might have a clue, please let me know.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Berry
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one of those before mine looked like an over grown and deformed brine shrimp Shocked have you fed live food recently it could have come in with that or a new plant maybe. even if you wash them they still have little bugs on them Shocked .
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a mayfly larvae
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berry~
I feed them frozen brine shrimp...I had actually wondered if it might have been that, but then I figured it couldn't of been from frozen food.

Discus Man~
I'm not familiar with mayflies...do they lay their eggs in water? This guy is very active in the glass that he is in right now. I'll have to look up Mayflies, and research this further. Like I said, my curiousity is very high on this.

Thanks for the replies,
Dylacat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description I would say its a mayfly to they lay there eggs in water and they go through a larva cycle in witch they are strictly aquatic.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say tail FIN?
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a tail fin (fan-shaped). He has a very slender body, almost resembling a stick. His 6 legs are very thin, like an insect or shrimp. He has large white eyes like this emoticon: Shocked
I found a site with a picture of the mayfly larvae, and it doesn't look anything like this. The one I found on the web, is described as having a flat body, and this one is rounded like a stick or twig. I also looked at many other larvae of different types of flies, and didn't have any luck...it's still a mystery to me. I'm going to keep looking.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating Discus Man...Since you suggested it, I started looking on the internet and have learned more about these bugs in the last hour than I ever hoped to know Smile

So, Dylacat, could you be mistaking three thin tails for one "tailfin"?

Here is the most reasonable picture I could find (if it works).

If it is a mayfly larvae, they are actually pretty interesting creatures. They are aquatic, with gills, and can live for a couple of years under water before emerging as an adult only to live for two more hours to mate and die...

Did I ever mention that I love bugs? We just don't have many cool bugs in California...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dylacat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy~
I had seen that picture on probably the same site (Gordan's Mayfly Page?). I also found another picture on this site:
http://mbgnet.mobot.org/fresh/slide/mayfly.htm
Their (the mayflies) abdomen is very flat, what I found has a very rounded body. Also, the mayflies legs are thicker at the top, and tapered thin at the bottom. This one here has stick-like legs. I wish that I could take a picture of it, but it's too small. Maybe it's a different variation of a mayfly...I just don't know.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Did I ever mention that I love bugs? We just don't have many cool bugs in California...

Sorry... Really off topic, but those bugs are gross, IMO. Smile A couple years ago those flies were everywhere and I mean everywhere for like two summers in a row... Lots and lots of stinking dead mayflies. They are attracted to light, so you get out to gas the car up and all you hear is crunch crunch crunch on your way to pay for the gas. They were everywhere in our stores, dead. They stink when they die. Every day for a few weeks, we had to use the shop vac to clean up quick! In my spare time, I cleaned every shelf off on by one. They say this means Lake Erie is healthy again.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: