Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Changed to Fluval Filter - disaster!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)11:00    Post subject: Changed to Fluval Filter - disaster! Reply with quote

Hello

After experiencing problems with my plants, and reading here and there that they don't get on so well with UGFs, I took the plunge and put in a Fluval 3plus filter. The tank is 30 inches long by 12 deep, and is apparently about 100l or 28 us gal. The filter is spec'd for tanks between 90 and 130 litres, and up to 3feet long.

But when I turned it on, even the lowest flow was manic! Ended up with fish in formation trying to fight against the flow, and bits being pulled off plants, even on lowest setting. Sad Sad

Did I do something wrong, or is this filter over-specced for a planted tank?
Filter was set up to flow along the length of the tank, with the flow deflecting off the back wall first to try and cut down the current.

If I'm to take this back to the shop (it's out now, drying off) then I need to do so fairly quick, so any advice gratefully received!

Cheers!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally face power filters towards the short wall. this way it only gives you strong flow in 1 small area. Do you what the L/Hours are?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irons, thanks for the speedster reply.

According to the box, it is 700l/h, or 185 us gal/hr. That does seem a lot, doesn't it, actually...

The next one down, the '2 plus' is rated at 400 l/h (105 us gal) - d'you reckon that would be a better bet?

Cheers!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank sounds like it's in the 20US Gal range, 30x12x12. So your looking @ about 9 times your volume an hour. Some might say a little high. Next one down might be right on or a touch low depending on how you stock your tank @ 5x per hour. My 20 and 30 run @ 5x. I wouldn't mind a little more on both, but they are African tanks and those guys are a little messy in my option. My 75 is running about 5x as well, until yesterday. Now it's running about 7x's. I'm much happier with the filtration and the circulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for these respones, Irons, it's much appreciated.

I'm off to the LFS to try an negotiate an exchange... (and then I'm going to re-read my school maths books on volumes Smile )

Cheers!
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFS very understanding and swapped it for a Fluval 2 plus, whish is behaving very nicely - thanks for the help and hints Irons, I've set it up to push against the short side, which is really helping the plants.

Thanks again

Cheers!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to hear. Congrats. Now all we need is pic's. *LOL*
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed too! Laughing

But then I thought, 'Why not show them what they helped with?', so here y'are!

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5977

Cheers!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: