Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SuperStand! question on weight load
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gi4get
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)9:04    Post subject: SuperStand! question on weight load Reply with quote

woodier than a lodgepole pine! more attractive than anything else on the shelf! it's SuperStand!! the question is....can it hold the weight?

I'm a college student planning on buying a 20 gal. H once I move back into the dorm. I love the stands at most pet shops but don't love the price. I've found a very attractive low stand at Target for half the cost of other stands. There's a little excess of L and W so I'm not worried about size. It was built as a tv stand so I know it can hold atleast that much. However, water's heavy and I'm worried my inexpensive stand won't be able to deal with 160+ lbs.

If it's not stated on the box, how can I tell the weight capacity of a stand? If this stand doesn't cut it, is there any way to boost the its support? Would I be better off dropping 50-80 bucks on a pet store stand? * question...question*

Advanced thanks for the help
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, searched for some tank stands that I could also utilize as storage (ie small stacking cabinets) They didn't have a weight limit posted, but I trusted them to hold and they are (10gallons). However, I was shopping for the most inexpensive. They were $22 and I wish I had spent the extra 8$ to get a slightly better quality. I was assuming they had backs, and they don't, only cardboard.
If the TV stand has strong vertical support, I would go for it. If it's only got the walls along the side and a cardboard back and no support from the doors in front, I would skip it. The extra 20$ you may spend on a tank stand will be worth it if your tank stays level and doesn't eventually leak.

petco is having a sale on stuff. They have a stand for 10, 15h, or 20x (hex tank?) that is 20x11.5x30. It's $36. But check out this pic. it looks to be about as supportive as any random tv stand would be, so buy the stand if it looks sturdier than this:)http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?familyid=7424&sku=1590533020&tab=3&dept_id=1006&c1=1005&c2=1006&c3=&ct1=Aquariums+%26+Furniture&ct2=Aquarium+Stands&ct3=
Kunnagh
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could see what size TV the stand is rated for and check some weights - according to the manual, our 21" TV weighs in at 21kg, which I reckon is 46lb - you could get a possible estimate that way.

Cheers!
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must weigh around 160lbs, sit on the thing and see if it buckles or strains.

You might as well spend the money on something designed to hold an aquarium.

Remember the aquarium weight will be spread over an area, not on a single point...
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise is do as I have. I bought a cheaper aquarium stand, one with a top, bottom and two supporting planks at an angle. For my 20gL, this cost
gi4get
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

PharClyde....I only weigh 115 lbs. Maybe if I jump on it?

Thanks for all the advice! I move back to college tommorrow morn so we'll find out what happens soon! Smile
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: