Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Phosphates and algae.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)6:16    Post subject: Phosphates and algae. Reply with quote

It seems I have some varity of Spirogyra. My search thus far seems to be leaning towards the idea that it likes phosphates. So, here's the questions:

1) What online "stores" would you recommend to pick up a phosphate test kit from? I checked bigals's site and didn't see any.

2) What plants are known to absorb phosphates @ a good rate? 75gal, no CO2 (maybe working on that), with 2.6 WPG.

After I test PO4 and Nitrate I am going to start to track down the source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Garrett
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my Seachem phosphate test kit at bigalsonline. If you go to the "test kits" section and cycle on through the list until you get to the Seachem section, you should see it. Hope this helps. Since this test kit is the only one I've ever had for phosphates, I don't know if it is better or worse than any other, but I've been happy with it.

"Wit is educated insolence"
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water sprite is a good nutrient absorbing plant, and grows rapidly as well, but is a rapidly growing plant which can outgrow tanks so they require pruning often.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons,
As far as I know Duckweed is by far the best and fastest plant at stripping phosphates out of the water.
Now I would be too scared to introduce it into my tank in case I couldn't get it all out again but that's just me.
If you have the sort of set up that wouldn't force/suck it off the surface and through your filter it could be great for removing phosphate and nitrate. I guess the big drawback is that you would have to keep netting loads out every few days to stop it covering the whole tank surface!

Anyways it's an idea!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a dozen or so pieces of duckweed in my tank, hitched a ride. It never got very far. I assumed my angels ate them. I'm getting a water report send from the water authority here. I've also made my own food yesterday to help possibly elimate extra phosphates. Which I found is added to food as a form of vitamin C. My primary food shows no less then 1.5%. Considering how much I feed my angels that's a lot.

The new food consists of:
Peeled zuccini, brine shrimp, peas, beans, prawn, blood worm, daphnia, BBS, spirilina disks. and garlic. Pretty close to that order by volume. Just started today. Fish REALLY seem to like it so far.

I also started a little CO2 (bottle of pop gone bad, with some yeast) today. Mostly to test the hosing, seal, and stone. I need to find a better stone and better placement. The seal needs a little work as well. I've started my testing and waiting for tonight to get an idea of what the parameters are after lights out and see if 12 hours made and improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some duckweed. I got like 10 tablespoons for $1.00 I didn't want NEARLY that much. So, I put 1tblspn in each tank. Since switching food on Saturday I can see a remarkable differnce in the growth rate of the algae vs plants.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: