Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plant disease in my tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Arelius
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)23:56    Post subject: Plant disease in my tank Reply with quote

My amazon swords appear to have some sort of disease. All the green is being removed from their new leaves which become skeletons of the leaf and eventually rot away

can anyone please help Crying or Very sad
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they growing white? Or dying completely?
Is any algae on the plant?
Do you fertilise, either with water fertilisers or substrate fertilisers?
Do you have a good substrate like laterite or just plain gravel?

If the plants are growing white you may have a nutrient deficiency. Calcium, nitrogen, iron, potassium, magnesium, molybdenum and zinc deficiencies can all lead to yellowish leaves for example.

I sometimes find that green spot algae on sword leaves can lead to the leaves dying and falling off, whether as a plant reaction to algae on the leaves or the algae preventing light highting the palisade mesophyll cells in the leaves.

No fertiliser additions in the water or substrate could mean the plant is suffering from nutrient deficiency. Swords are also known to be root fertiliser dependent more than water fertiliser dependent.

Plain gravel is of course inferior to substrates because substrates are richer in nutrients.

Hope you reply soon...
Marcus Arelius
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are not growing white, something is eating them away, something is rapidly eating/rotting away all the palnts in my tank. In the swords it appears to eat all the chloraphil or the cell contents leaving only the fibres.

The situation has grown worse with almost all my plants now showing that they being eaten away internally

ahhh all my beutiful plants Crying or Very sad
Marcus Arelius
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the other questions

just river gravel substrate, no I don't fertalize, but everything was growing great (well maybe not great but living happily at least). I don't think its related to fertalize/plant cycle stuff, but definitely appears to be either a disease or a microbe that is eating them away. The first to show symptom were those purple coloured plants with leaves that resemble hibiscus leaves. All the colour was eaten away from the leaves then they began falling off or rotting away from the stems. The plants virtually disintergrated over-night and now it is happening to all the other plants.

there are dark days ahead for my little aquarium
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)5:55    Post subject: Nutritional needs Reply with quote

Plants will withdraw nutrients from old leaves to support growth of new leaves.

I suggest you need fertilizer, and how is your light level?
Marcus Arelius
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some nutrient tablets for my tank

light levels are a single something gro fluro tube

the guy at the shop said I should reduce the hours of light from about 14 to about 8. So I'm trying that too.

Embarassed
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a new plant? Because if it is, it might be trying to save the energy to grow new leaves, as it might be grown emmersed before you bought it....2 of my amazons are doing the same, had them for a week on this day...I have laterite in my substrate, so I'm not worrying about the iron deffecincy. Also, I have a pretty fully stocked tank, so my fish is doing the fertilizing for me.

Try to use the fertilizer with caution. Try to really look at the problem and see what is needed. More often than not, fertilizers cos more problem...I personally don't use any fertilizers at all.....
revengeishere
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is tha tank and what is the wattage of the bulb?
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.01(Mon)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank is newly set up the gravel can have some nutrients in them initially. Also the plants themselves store excess nutrients within them and they were probally living off them for a while and therefore seemed to eb growing great. The lighting is what I recommend to fix first. 1 tube over any size tank is nearly never enough. Add another tube to your tank before adding fertiliser. Adding fertiliser should come after lighting and CO2 issues are dealt with IMO.
Marcus Arelius
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm you may be right - the single tube may not be enough, and extending the hours of lighting (my bucket solution) seems to have created more problems. What about CO2 should I be injecting some?, I'm not at the moment.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: