Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Golden wonder killifish
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)20:21    Post subject: Golden wonder killifish Reply with quote

What is the usual lifespan of these gorgeous killis?

The killifish I've had for a little over a year died today, and she was only around two inches long, so not even full sized. I'm thinking the male molly finally harassed her one too many times (and now he is enjoying his life, however brief it may prove to be, in a pacu tank), but I'm still curious how long they can live....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Everett Talveras page states 4 years. 2 inches is still a juvie-I consider 1 inch "saleable size"(in my ponds, thats 2 months old...they grow fast!). They start laying more eggs when they hit 3 inches, earlier spawns are usually infertile, though some say emptying them occasionally is beneficial.

They get really huge, and if overfed will get obese very easily(check out the fat ones in some stores). Though Everett states 4 inches, I've seen some at about 6-8 inches at the petstore. It would be very interesting to find out how many eggs such a big tanker could lay in one sitting compared to my 3-4 inchers 10-15!
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....that's one big fish!

Evil or Very Mad And here I was told she'd only get four inches....geez.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: