Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
OK..got test strips...yipes
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryann
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)15:36    Post subject: OK..got test strips...yipes Reply with quote

OK....me again.
One 7 inch Oscar alone in a 46 gallon bowfront.
I have been doing weekly water changes about 20 -25%

Got test strips from Walmart because there isnt anything else safe in this town.

findings:
Nitrate 40 (upper end of safe)
Nitrites 1.0 ((low end of stressed)
Hardness 75 soft
Alkalinity between 40 and 80 (color was in between)(low to moderate)
pH betwen acidic 6.2 and 6.8(acidic to neutral)

Ammonia test showed a wierd green color...not like any on the bottle I was darker than .5 butnot as bluish green as3.0 or 6.0

test was done after the 25% water change....

HELP INTERPRET and tell me what needs done.
He seems to be healthy....although now finicky eater because he found Krill to be much yummier than pellets....

I iwll now copy and paste to make sure it posts

still new to the fish world
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, you had to look, didn't you Smile ...This is what I meant when I assured you that you would have ammonia present. No question about it with a big fish in a new tank. Your tank is going through the cycle. At this point, just keep up the rigorous water changes and watch him closely for signs of stress. I would get a Python if you don't have one, and change about 50% of the water every day if thats what it takes. Remember, it won't be like this forever. After the ammonia begins to subside you will see a major spike in the very toxic nitrites for a week or two then you are out of the woods. After all of that, then begin a "normal" water change schedule to maintain the much more harmless nitrates under 40ppm.

Again, I wouldn't worry about the pH/hardness numbers at this point. They are a bit low, but are well within range for an oscar. Also, the numbers are being skewed by the presence of so much acidic ammonia, and to adjust them now would be a shot in the dark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
maryann
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:31    Post subject: python Reply with quote

python...I am assuming that refers to the super long siphon thing.....

I should keep up the water changes....50% a day? wow....

still new to the fish world
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:56    Post subject: Python makes it easy Reply with quote

The Python makes water changing really easy. The hardest part is coiling it up without kinks and storing it. I suggest a 3 or 5 gallon bucket.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds like a lot, but you do have toxic levels of ammonia and soon to be toxic levels of nitrites...You can try changing less, but watch him closely for signs of stress, especially when the nitrites build in. In my opinion, I wouldn't attempt to keep a large tank without a python. It is a long siphon that hooks to your sink faucet and drains and fills the tank super easy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: