Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need to filter several small tanks
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)9:02    Post subject: Need to filter several small tanks Reply with quote

Well, after years of a 15G tank I've decided to change it for 3-4 five gallon tanks. The reason for this is that I like to keep smaller, show fish as opposed to a community. What is the best way to filter 3 to 4 small tanks? Seperate sponge filters? One big, external filter. Please bear in mind that I'm on a budget and my 'rents don't want me doing anything to over the top.

Thanks,
Jack

The Funky Jack Homepage
Ignorance - My Band
Danco
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seperate sponge filters, air stones and heaters is probably the easyest most cost effective way to go.
except for water changes and water testing is now x4 defintly more maintanace time consuming.
I have an idea Idea set them up in a staircase type cascading effect drilling holes or noches and installing pvc pipe suction from the bottom of one tank like an upsidedown L overflows from the top into the next. so if the pump stops all tanks stay full. use a small canister filter to suction from the lowest discharge to the highest.(check valve in discharge side if canister if its is below tanks to prevent siphoning when its turned off) some cansters filters come with built in heaters and the water fall effect would eliminate the need for airstones. the only tank level then that would need montoirng is the lowest one for for evaporation water loss, water change, water testing=1.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my fry tanks, I just use one big air pump and box filters, you just need to buy some airline tubing and airline tee's to connect them all. If the current is too strong you can add a gang valve to adjust it. The water heaters are going to cost the most.

BTW, I would try to use one filter for every tank. If one fish gets sick, it could spread to the other tanks. JMO
Jack
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danco, that would be just the thing that my parents wouldnt let me do. Sad

I think ill just use either chepy canister filters or Shawna's sponge filters, unless anyone has a better idea? So far Shawna is the winner. . .

The Funky Jack Homepage
Ignorance - My Band
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: