Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Apple snails. Please help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)17:53    Post subject: Apple snails. Please help! Reply with quote

Hello, I got some apple snails, (I just love them to pieces) and for a week, they just cruised around my goldfish tank, quite happy. I moved to another city yesterday, and took them with me in a cooler. The problem is, yesterday they were both crusing around the little tank, and now one is half out of its shell, on its side, and its mantle is perpindicular to its shell, and its body is stretched down that far. He hasn't moved for hours, close to a day. The water quality is good, with a pinch of aquarium salt (I was told they liked little to no sallt)
Please, I would really appreciate some help. How do I know if he is dead? When should I give up trying to "Bring him back"? Do they fall out of their shells when they die? ..
Oh, and the other one is fine, he just won't come out of his shell.
Please help. Sad
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, they fall out when they die. Mine didn't move for 3 days and I was getting ready to take him out and he started cruizing that afternoon, really wierd but he did die about a month later. But be careful because once my snail died and fell out of the shell my black moor tried to eat him whole, needless to say he wasn't big enough and was choking so I had to net him and pull out the snail that was in his mouth. He fit a lot in there! So just make sure you get the shell and body out if he dies.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreeing with jewels, yes they do fall out of their shells when they die. Not to alarm you, but they also rot and decompose very quickly. If there is even a chance that it is dead, you need to remove it right away so it doesn't pollute the water. Take it out, poke the body with a toothpick or something. If it doesn't return to it's shell, it is deceased...sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Berry
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I breed apple snails I have loads! when they die they stink Sad you are going to have to take it out. sorry about him Crying or Very sad
meg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)13:23    Post subject: your right, he died. But what about the other? Reply with quote

Me again, Yes, you all were right, he died. He was in his own bowl, and, the smell was absolutly horrible. I took him out, and he started coming out of his shell even more, so I tugged (just a little) on his mantle, and he came out completely, very easily with lots of water, and I don't believe I've ever smelled something quite so bad. So, thank you all very much..
By the way, the other one is still in the two gallon, with a tiny (very decidedly alive little brown snail) and he is just out of his shell slightly. He doesn't smell at all, but doesn't react to water changes, or the tank moving at all. Should I worry yet?
thanks again,
~meg
ps, if he is dying/dead, will this harm the other snail and plant until I can figure out his condition? what should I do?
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean...OMG, that has to be the worst smell in the entire world...Sorry about your lost snail.

meg wrote:
the other one is still in the two gallon...and he is just out of his shell slightly. He doesn't smell at all, but doesn't react to water changes, or the tank moving at all. Should I worry yet?
since your other one just died, yes, I would worry...I would pick him up and if he doesn't close into his shell, poke him with a toothpick and see if he reacts...You don't want him rotting in the tank if he is dead...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
meg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again, thanks for that advice, its quite sound. I checked on him again, and alas, he was starting to smell the water up. So, I took him out, and he he not only didn't go back into his shell (his antennae were curled up and he looked remarkably like a lump of opaque jelly) but came out more. I poked him several times with a toothpick, no reaction, blew on him, no reaction, tugged a little at at him, and he came out even more. with lots of water. So, thinking he was dead (he smelled even worse then) I hauled a lot on him, and he didn't come out in one piece like the other, he... ripped in half.. But, I don't think I killed him, I think he as already dead. (He was starting to turn white as well.)
I've got one other little snail, a brown one, and he is very much alive and active, So should I wash the tank out again? I've done it several times already today.

Oh, and, one other thing, they were both out cruising around yesterday evening, and now they are dead, could they have died becaue the water in this city is much harder then it was in the last one? (even though I treat it) or could it be that they just tolerate No salt whatsoever. *I added a small amount of aquarium salt. could this half killed them?
thanking in advance,
~meg
meg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... I also added an algae wafer to the water, because they were in a new tank Algae wafers can't kill snails, can they?
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

meg wrote:
I added a small amount of aquarium salt. could this half killed them?

Salt isn't good for snails, but most can tolerate some salt in their water. How do you add salt? Do you dissolve it first? What about water changes? Do you only replace the salt that has been removed or do you add X amount of salt every time? Why are you adding salt anyway?
meg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by the petstore that all FW fish/snails do like a little salt, for reasons of extra electrolytes, and et cetera. Yes, I dissolve it first, and let the water stand for a while, then I add. I add 1tbsp/5 gallons to my large tank, but to the snail tank, I add considerably less then that. 1/2 tsp/ 2 gallons (I had a feeling, dispite the advice I was given that snails in fact don't like much salt, but I wanted to be safe, so I added it anyway.)
Thank you for your advice, I am going to water change, and remove all the salt from that tank.

Another question though, If the tank set up is new/has just been cleaned, and algae is yet to have developed, what will it eat? the snail is about the size of a thumbnail, hes quite tiny.
thanks again!!!!!!

you all are just great!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: