Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sick Dwarf Gourami
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)16:36    Post subject: Sick Dwarf Gourami Reply with quote

Here's the scoop. All I've noticed so far. I've got a blue Dwarf Gourami whose appetite has been poor for the past several days. He has been hanging out in the plants kind of hiding. Yesterday I took him out of the tank and put him in a bowl by himself with water from the tank. Today I noticed his poop is clear and kind of thready with little pinkish dots in it. After eating (when he will) he sort of lays a bit tilted at the bottom of the bowl with a small bulge towards the backside of his body. (This seems to be what is bouying him up and causing him to be tilted). The rest of the time he of often hanging out at the top of the water. My question is: Does this sound like a parasite or perhaps bacterial? Any ideas and how to treat? I think he is an older fish as he is quite a bit larger than my other dwarf. It almost seems like his eyesight is poor-- but this could just be that his appetite is not good too.

Thanks for the help.
Mary
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was swimbladder disease. He died. Crying or Very sad
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Mary for the loss of your little Blue Guarmie. Sad I'm to new to this to offer any advice or even tell you what it was. Just wanted to say Sorry for your loss. I have a Dwarf Neon Gauramie who is going through Ich treatments as a precaution and very scared somthing might happen to him! He is my favorite little guy!! Again, Sorry for your loss. Hope someone can help you with what it was. ~Nancy~
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame Mary, let's hope that's the first and last!

Just to pick up on something Nancy said
Quote:
I have a Dwarf Neon Gauramie who is going through Ich treatments as a precaution

If you mean by this that you couldn't actually see any white spots, flicking etc but treated just in case they got ich you should stop straight away!
I may have got the wrong end of the stick but if this is what you meant it really isn't a good idea. It is the general consensus that any meds are a last resort, after all it is adding potent chemicals to your tank which are hard on your fish.
You are more likely to make your fish ill by 'precautionary' treatment with medications. All you need to do is keep your water quality A1 and if possible quarantine any new fish to keep the risk of disease to a minimum.
I apologise if you already knew this but the info might be helpful to somebody anyway! Very Happy
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Type R! Here's the deal. I took some infected fish out of my main tank into a 10 gal, but was advised by my Local fish guy to treat my main tank also. This has been a terrible experience for me!!! I lost several fish in my 10 gal and they still have spots. Also did lose my guarmie today. He was one of my favs!! Not sure what happened, he was fine yesterday. Maybe the Aquarisol??? ONly doing what was recommended by LFS. He told me to treat as a precaution for 5-7 days then do a vac/water change. 7 days will be tomorrow and I'm not sure where to go from here. I think I see 1 spot on one of my platies, but not sure that pure paranoiya(sp?) hasn't set in!!! Laughing Only have 2 platies and a pleco left in my treatment tank. Althought the spots seem to be lessening a bit. Think this might end up a total disaster! May end up starting from scratch. A bit confused on the info I've been getting. Everyone on the board says to vac/water change daily when ick is present.MY fish guy said no way!!! Hmmmmmmmm.....I'm just to new at this stuff to know who's right. Wish me luck. Sad Thanks for your input. ~Nancy~

Used jungle ich cure at 1/2 dose for 6 days on treatment tank only to have spots worsen!!!! Did big water change and then started Aquarisol. Crying or Very sad
Jen S
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.02(Tue)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear about your gourami and other fish. Sad

Quote:
Everyone on the board says to vac/water change daily when ick is present.MY fish guy said no way!!!

I'm curious, did your fish guy say why you shouldn't vac & water change when treating ick? From what I understand, ick has a dormant stage that is impervious to medications. The cysts sink to the bottom of the tank then hatch hours or even days later. Frequent vacuuming helps to reduce the number of cysts before they have a chance to hatch and reinfect the fish.
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Well, to answer your question he said to vacuum that much disrupts the whole balance of your aquarium. He was shocked that I was vacuuming everyday.. I switched to Aquarisol to prevent staining in my main tank. When he sold me this he told me right out it is not a strong as the other treatments, but I could try it. Seeing as tho I really couldn't see spots on my main tank I figured this would be fine. He told me to put the meds in for 5-7 days then vac. He said the daily vac would also be taking out the meds I was putting in. But also said there are some meds that require to vac/change water before another treatment. I don't know everyone makes a lot of since when they say to vac everyday, but he was just blown away that I was doing this. So I thought maybe its been my fault all along that I maybe caused part of this problem by vaccing too much??? On a healthy tank he thinks once a month is all you should do. Like I said, I'm so new to this that I'm really confused here. Confused Everyone who is left in my main tank seems alright for the moment and in my treatment tank I still have the 2 platies and pleco. Which are doing much better but still have the spots after day 5 of Aquarisol. I really hate to get anything stronger for them as they were on deaths door from the other treatment I was doing!!(and thick with spots!!) They seem so happy now. So I figured I would rather treat with a milder dose for longer . Wish I knew what the right thing to do was. Your input is much appreciated!! I will have one more talk with my fish guy today to see where to go from here. If I'm not happy with what he says, I'm gonna start the daily vaccing. I mean if you put the meds in everyday the vaccing shouldn't affect the meds right?? Ackkkkkkkkk!!! My poor fish have to suffer for this because, I don't know what I'm doing.. Hope I get through this with some fish being OK. Thanks again Jen! ~Nancy~
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Nancy, here's what I would do.
Don't add any more meds to your main tank, vac the surface of the gravel and change 25% of your water. If you think the platy is suspect get him into the hospital tank, If it is Ich the white spot will look like a grain of salt and the fish is likely to be flicking against plants, gravel or ornaments to relieve the itching.
After this I would leave your main tank alone and just do your weekly water changes - 20% or so.
As for vacuuming, it really depends on what type of filter you are using. Do you have under gravel filters or a power filter, or canister?
In normal day to day running (no diseases) the 'average' seems to be a vacuum once a week using a gravel vac to syphon water out for water change at the same time.

You say you tried Jungle ich cure at half dosage in the hospital tank? Why half dosage? Usually half dosage is recommended when using Malachite green based meds when treating tetras, and delicate species like Rams. If you were treating Platy's I would have thought full dosage would be in order. Anyway that's by the by now.
Continue with your current program of Aquarisol if you think they are showing some improvement. What you must not do is mix meds or keep adding med after med. One thing you can do right away is add garlic oil to their food. Get hold of some in capsules from a health food shop or wherever and just drip it onto their food. Also slowly raise the tank temperature to 84 degrees farenheit if you have not done so. You should not raise the temperature by more than 2 degrees a day to avoid stressing the fish more.
For water changing/vacuuming in the hospital tank IMO you would be better off just doing a vacuum and 25% water change per week.
Some people recommend vacuuming daily to remove the cyst stage of the Ich but you are also removing meds by doing this and if it is not at full strength when the ich is in it's free swimming stage then you will have missed your chance to kill it (it is generally uneffected when on the fish's body and when in the cyst stage). Also you need to keep up your treatment for at least 3 days after all the white spots have gone off the fish to ensure total eradication of the ich.
Good luck! Smile
bugzycat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.03(Wed)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type-R can't thank you enough for your advice!! Smile I did a good vac and 30 % water change in my main tank today. Checking all the fish for spots. I didn't move my platy to hospital tank, but will give her a good look over and if I really think it is a ich spot, move her down. The reason I was using ony half doses of jungle cure was I had neons and black neons I was also treating in there. Sad They have since all passed due to the treatments. Also 4 small cherry barbs. They just couldn't take the meds. I did do the recommended water change in between the treatments also. For some good news! I checked out my platy in the hospital tank and he is so much better even from this morning!!! The poor thing was just caked with spots after my last dose of Jungle. I think it was due to my heater blowing out in the middle of my treatments also. Today was day 5 for my hospital tank with Aquarisol and day 7 for my main tank. I will take your advice to heart and I really appreciate it very much. Things seem to be finally calming down a bit. One last question for you. What about cleaning nets,vacs decorations ect.... Should I be taking out all my decorations a scrubbing them? I did take almost everything except plants in my hospital tank. Should I be using a diluted bleach solution to clean my gravel vacs & decorations?

I currently have an UGF and a power filter going. My hubby is a bit outdated and thought the UGF were still the thing. So we bought the power filter for the tank also. I hate to take the entire tank apart to get that UGf out. I think I will gravel vac once a week making a 25-30% water change? Does that sound about right to you? AGain your help is much appreciate because I was really getting confused! Laughing Thank you! ~Nancy~
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,
Sorry about late reply, I've been away for a few days!
I hope by now your fish are doing a bit better? Fingers and toes are crossed for you! It wouldn't hurt to give your decorations etc a scrub, might remove a few ich cysts in the process! I would think as regards your gravel vac and net you could boil the kettle and pour boiling water over them to sterilise, that should be enough in this case.
As for your gravel vaccing and water change, once a week with 25-30% water change sounds great to me. What I would say is don't dig too deep with your vac, just disturb the top half inch or so, UGF's are dirty by design so don't think a 'clean' tank is necessarily a healthy tank!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: