Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Snails that eat algae?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poorboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)15:03    Post subject: Snails that eat algae? Reply with quote

I've got a bit of a film algae problem.. (brownish slippery material on the glass) I'm wondering if there is a specific snail I can put in the tank to clear this up? Or is there a particular fish?

Tank is a 20g with three dwarf blue gouramis, 8 neons.
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)15:09    Post subject: fff Reply with quote

any snail will work, gold mystery snails are pretty. you can get the little ones for free but soon you will have about 100 they breed A LOT. If it's slippery the best thing would be a pleco though, snails don't cover a lot of ground and plecos eat more. if you don't like plecos try cories or maybe the chinese algae eaters. but I found that the chinese are kind of aggresive.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nix the Chinese "algae eater." It's not Chinese and it doesn't eat algae.

You probably want to find out WHY you have an algae bloom in the first place before you add more fish to your tank.

If you do decide to go for an algae eater, I'd stick with otos; they stay under two inches, they are not aggressive, and they're rather cute. They also won't overpopulate your tanks in a week! (Or ever, really!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
poorboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't otos have a very high chance of dying in transport / integration? And don't they get ich very easily? if I do decide to get them.. given my current setup.. how many could I put in there?
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are delicate, but not so much as to stop you from buying them. Plus most stores will have a warranty on fish living for the first 3 days after you buy them. As for ich, none of my Otos ever got ich, but maybe I'm just lucky.

In your setup you can fit 3 or 4 nicely.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had otos living with my crayfish for months---they were fast enough to escape him, which is more than I can say for a few unlucky zebra danios!

The otos did, however, die. I think they starved to death--the crayfish was obviously not going to share his food, and they devoured the algae fast....and were dead by the time I started adding algae wafers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had 2 mysterious oto deaths. And that was having for some time. They've never had ick that I was able to ascertain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: