Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new home for oscar
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crabby
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)13:57    Post subject: new home for oscar Reply with quote

I am sooo happy to have finally set up a tank just for an oscar.

Here is the set up.

Tank is a oceanic euro 36" x 20" X 20" bowfront, unsure how many gallons.

Filter is 1 aquaclear 500 and one marineland magnum 350 w/bio wheel kit.

Heater is a 300 watt proquatics submersible.

Substrate is 2 inches of coarse sand.

Lighting consists of one 40 watt actinic and one 30 watt tru-glo.

What do you guys think? Will it work?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 235 liters (just over 60 gallons). The size is good for a single Oscar to live alone in. Filtration sounds great, you may even have to reduce the flow of the AC500 if you feel there's too much water current and the Oscar is getting annoyed. I'm not too sure about the your lighting combo though, the actinic doesn't seem to be serving any purpose in this setup and you can enhance the colors of your Oscar better by using a combination of 6500K daylight + Aqua-Glo (for example). The substrate will probably get redecorated according to the Oscar's taste, not yours Smile
crabby
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos, thanks for the reply. I may swap the AC 500 for a 350gph hialea cannister that I am not using right now. As for keeping the oscar alone, I can't do it! This particular albino red (9") has shared a 200 gallon community tank with 6 blood parrots (4") for a year now. Every time I took the parrots out (twice) the oscar pouted terribly and would'nt eat!

I realize that I could probably just leave the oscar in the 200 with the parrots but they are breeding fairly regularly and he (oscar) always seems to re-decorate right over the latest batch of eggs. So I saved my pennies, bought the bowfront, and set it up.

I am hoping that the oldest parrot who has never paired off will serve as a companion (pal) for the oscar. I realize that in the smaller tank aggression could turn into a problem but I am gonna try it. I can always punt! (my brother says that, I have no idea what it means! Laughing )

Any alternatives to suggest?

Crabby
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a larger tank for the Oscar and parrot?

Try the Oscar in the 60 gallon alone. He may well like being alone and having the territory for himself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the oscar now? I'd leave him alone in the new tank, or perhaps put the "breeding" parrots in there by themselves.
crabby
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the "big move" went well. I placed the oscar and parrot in the bowfront on the 27th and everything is working out beautifully! Very Happy They are getting along well and both seem to have acclimated just fine. I am going to stick to weekly 25% water changes. Hopefully the water changes combined with 700 gph filtration should keep the water quality up there.

BTW, I must thank Bohica who after several pm's expressing concern over my set up sent me a full range of test kits after learning that I did'nt have any and would'nt be able to get good ones any time soon. Thanks Bo! I got them yesterday and the water is perfect. Very Happy I will check it weekly like we talked about. Not just anyone would have done that! Thanks again!!! Wink

Crabby
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Bohica is right on the money in trying to warn you. You have just placed a monstrous bioload in an uncycled tank. To put this as nicely as I can and not sound like I'm trying to be negative, you *will* have toxic levels of ammonia within a week followed quickly by toxic levels of nitrites. This is not even a maybe, it's a guarantee.

crabby wrote:
I am going to stick to weekly 25% water changes. Hopefully the water changes combined with 700 gph filtration should keep the water quality up there.

Even if this were a fully established tank, which it's not, 25% weekly will probably not be enough to maintain nitrate levels under the generally accepted 40ppm stress level. Using nitrates as you point of reference, you will probably find you are having to change much more than this.

If you are interested in reading this, Maryann has the same basic situation that you do: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5934
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabby, Thank you for the kind words. You seemed on the phone to be a very bright young lady though a bit stubborn! Very Happy Use those test kits in good faith. I wish you well in your venture as it will not be an easy row to hoe.

Tommy, you sound like me! LOL!! I was very happy to hear that the tank was cycled! (thank the maker!) She cycled it about a month with 6 2" feeders. She did not have nitrite/nitrate kits but did see a rise, peak, fall on ammonia. You may be right about the water changes. 25% may be a bit low. I guess we will see. Crabby has promised to keep us updated at least weekly.

Bo
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.30(Sat)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

bohica wrote:
Tommy, you sound like me! LOL!! I was very happy to hear that the tank was cycled! (thank the maker!) She cycled it about a month with 6 2" feeders.

Oh, what a relief, thanks Bo...Sorry for making the assumption that it was uncycled. Still keep an eye on the ammonia Krabby. There may still be a spike as the tank adjusts to the new big fish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: