Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planned 55gal
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)11:09    Post subject: Planned 55gal Reply with quote

I'm currently planning a standard 55gal tank. I'm asking for commentary and opinions on my equipment plan:)

1 Perfecto tank
2 Aquaclear 200s (each rated for 40gal, 200gph) used with sponges in media baskets and possibly larger mechanical filter material if it fits.
2 Ebo Jager 100 watt heaters (each rated for 20-30gal, one on each end of tank to prevent hot spots)
2 Standard 24" hoods with standard lighting (2 bulbs,15-20watts each bulb) Tank will be planted only with java moss, java fern, possibly a floating plant as well, plus plastic/silk plants.

Tank will house: school of congo tetras, african butterfly cichlid pair, male paradise fish, 4corydoras. Possibly 2 SAEs, small pleco, trio of livebearers (platy or swords) pearl gourami, or other options. I have a post commenting on stocking in another forum, so just comments on the equipment would be great. Thanks so much for any help you may offer:)
CW~
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

two hob aquaclears is plenty. don't worry about more.
Why not have sword plants instead of silk. These will do fine in that level of light and help keep the water clean.

Live bearers? blech... Smile sorry had to say it... poop machines more like it.

For the gourami, you may want to consider the dwarf kind.
Dwarf plecos are also fantastic. A dwarf bristlenose is my personal fave.
HTH.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks~I know about the livebearers...I still like the little guys though, and they will be a nice supply of live food for the tank;)

I have dwarf honey gourami, and was looking to get a larger one for the tank since I have enough space for the 4" pearl.

I was under the impression that .66-.75 watts per gallon without Co2 injection and other suppliments was MUCH to liitle light to grow most plants, including swords, which are high light level plants. Am I under the wrong impression?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is too little to grow most plants but swords are not most plants.
IME swords require less lights than anubias.
swords obtain a large amount of their requirements from the substrate. some fluorite mixed into the gravel at the roots and the occasional root tab is strongly suggested. If there is no natural light spilling into the room then at least 1 watt is best.

However I have grown with a 14w light on a 20g before.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info! I didn't know that about swords at all. Now I know why my sword in my 6gal with 8watts hasn't died; I have a aquatic plant substrate. (It was an experiement and I did expect it to die:))

For a small pleco, I am looking into bristlenoses (I don't like these as much), rubbernoses, clowns, etc etc. Are any of the dwarf species better algae eaters than others? I know that zebra plecos are actually carnivorous, but that's all I know.

There will be no natural light; this tank will be in a basement. I have a post about my lighting in the planted tank section; if you can help me out at all in that department, please do:)
Thanks~
CW
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: