Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rock Setup
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Zoidberg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:28    Post subject: Rock Setup Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I'm setting up a cichlid tank and am wondering, is it necessary to place some sort of support on the bottom of a tank that will contain a lot of rocks, to keep the rocks from cracking the glass? I've read that eggcrate is good, but I can't find it anywhere where I am (Australia). Could I use sheets of styrofoam, polystyrene or rubber instead? Will these deteriorate over time?

Thanks all.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not have reasonably sized gravel or sand as a substrate then points of pressure can be exerted on the glass. In that case I would use a sheet of styrofoam. If your substrate is gravel or sand then this step is completely unecessary.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Dr. Zoidberg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my gravel size ranges from 1-3mm, so that'd be OK? And I should put the base rocks in before everything right on the glass bottom, and then pour the gravel over and around them?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

cichlids, esp. African, dig. Egg crate is suggested to prevent the Africans from collapsing any rock structures and the resulting falling rock cracks the glass.

IME, I pour a thin layer of gravel, perhaps a 1/4 inch, then place rocks on that then fill up to two or more inches of substrate.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can do is go down to your local plastic company (in California, it's Tap Plastics) and have a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass cut to fit the bottom of your tank. Silicone underneath it with a crosshatch pattern and you have an excellent protective layer...

With my last big american diggers, I got so tired of them exposing the bare bottom that I had the idea of spreading silicone on top of the plexiglass then pouring dry sand over it to create sort of a "carpet" under the gravel. I never did it, but I thought about it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
arbo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used lace rock in my cichlid tank. On the points that touch the glass I applied aquarium sealant/caulk and let dry. Then the rest of the rocks are stacked on top of the first layer. Works really well. I also have a few lone rocks that just sit on the gravel which has caused no problems. I arranged the rocks on a flat surface to find the points that would touch the glass.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: