Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Metallic Blue ?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)6:59    Post subject: Metallic Blue ? Reply with quote

Hey, this is the first form of what looks to be some kind of disease I've encounted, so any help would be fantastic! I've had my Gold Gourami now for about 3weeks, and he has been absolutely fine (since I removed the other male that he fought with). He didn't have any nips out of him or anything. I've looked at him this afternoon, and he has 3 or 4 metallic blue spots on his top fin, I've never seen or heard of anything like it, unfortauntely I can't get a picture. There almost like little metallic blue bubbles. He also has like a small red line going horizontal across his body, only about 2cm's long. Please someone try and help Sad thanks.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't sound like any disease I have ever come across. How big are these blue spots? When you say they are like bubbles do you mean they are raised up off the fin, like stuck on it rather than part of the fin?
Metallic blue spots on fish are usually just part of their colouration, are you sure it's not just developing different markings?
Is there any sign of illness? Any scratching against objects, clamping fins, fast breathing?
Bit odd this one! Confused
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.26(Tue)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Type-R, the blue spots don't sound familiar to me... But, can you tell us more about the "red line"? Like where it starts and where it ends... How long has the tank been running and have you checked for ammonia/nitrites...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you the levels for Am + Ni, but I finished cycling this tank aproximately a month ago (as I had a test kit then). I do a 30% water change every week, and use a water purifier thing for tap water.

Theres no sign of illness, he swims around fine, first one to swim up to collect his portion of food. I've noticed he hides a fair bit, but I just guessed this was because he is the only Gourami in the tank.

Yes. The blue small dots are like bubbles, and they like stick out, erm, example... err.. like humans get 'Moles', obviously they're not that big, just an example of how they stick out.

Now don't laugh at my artist skills, but I tried to sum up a picture to try and show you easier.

OK! I said don't laugh! Twisted Evil

Anyway, hope this helps, and you can help me with this problem Sad
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.28(Thu)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Grief it's Rolf Harris! Wink

Well on to the serious stuff, the red line could be just part of the natural colouring or it could be caused by bacterial septicemia which can cause red streaks in the fins and/or body.
When you do your water changes do you use water straight from the tap, obviously treated with a dechlorinator?
The reason I ask this is because water straight from the tap is often super saturated with gases. When you pour this into the tank it is possible for a fish to take up this excess gas through the gills which then creates bubbles in its body, usually seen in the fins.
It does sound very much like this from what you describe. Sad
Unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do about this condition, the only thing I can suggest is to gently lower the temperature of the aquarium to as low as is still safe for the fish and see if the bubbles disperse after a couple of days.
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, too good looking for Rolf Harris Laughing

I used to use the water straight from the tap, but have recently started using a dechlorinator, but have only been using this the past 2 weeks (roughly).

I will start lowering the temperature 1 or 2 degree's a night and see if theres any change. Last thing I want to do is harm the other fish though.

Well thanks for your help Type-R.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.29(Fri)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest you are lucky all your fish are not dead already if you have only been using a dechlorinator for the past two weeks! Shocked
Anyway at least you are now!

The dechlorinator won't help to prevent the bubble disease though because it's the fact that water from the tap is pumped under pressure which causes the problem. What you should do is give the water a good thrashing (I don't recommend Basil Faulty style with a branch though! Laughing ) to try to release some of the gases before adding it to the tank.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: